The lawn and garden industry is huge. Large retail chains like Lowe's and Home Depot are everywhere, including online. If you plan to become a lawn and garden retailer, you need to compete with existing companies.
In order to do this, you need to research market trends, products and manufacturers of lawn and garden products. You also need to decide whether to sell general lawn and garden equipment and accessories or specialty lawn and garden products. Research your possible clientèle to find out what they want and need before you decide what to sell. Remember, also, to price products to sell, but also to make a profit.
There are many things to think about before becoming a lawn and garden retailer. Not only do you need to please clients and offer products at great prices, you need to buy products that will sell. Here are a few tips to help you do that.
1. Include specific details about your lawn and garden store in your business plan. This helps you focus on the type of products you want to sell. It also helps you make financial projections.
2. Buy the best lawn and garden equipment for the best prices. Compare and shop around to find some great bargains, and remember to consider wholesalers.
3. Appeal to all customers. Stock your store with lawn and garden items that will attract a large variety of clientèle.
4. Consider selling name brand lawn and garden products. Consumers feel comfortable buying products they already know and trust.
Create a business plan for your lawn and garden storeWhether you have a street address or an online address, you need a business plan to start a business. This will help you understand what you want to achieve, and it will help you project long term financial goals
Buy directly from lawn and garden wholesalersTo get the most lawn and garden products for your money, buy them directly from a wholesaler.
Remember to offer lawn and garden products that are environmentally friendlyGreen products are good for the environment. Many customers will be interested in green products, especially the ones that do not use gas.
Consider buying lawn and garden tractors from manufacturersEveryone who owns a home needs a tractor or lawn mower. Home garden and lawn stores need to offer a variety of these products. If you want to carry name brands, consider buying directly from the manufacturer.
- Check out the competition. Visit local lawn and garden distributors to see what products they sell, and to see how they price their products.
- Display similar items together. If you sell lawn and garden bags, place them near tractors and mowers.