Whether your company is large or small, sometimes an outside perspective from a human resource (HR) consultant is beneficial. Whether you hire a large firm or an independent consultant, you will have the advantage of experts who can assess your current HR processes for compliance. Consultants also can help navigate through delicate labor issues and the potential minefield of hiring, compensation and benefits. Here are three good reasons to hire an HR consultant:
- Avoid potentially costly litigation by establishing best employment practices and training, and upgrading sensitive recruitment practices. Consultants can recruit and hire employees.
- Help the company get through times of change by covering hiring and compensation, as well as investigating, documenting and dismissing employees.
- Save money by contracting instead of employing a full-time HR executive.
Identify the services you wantTo maximize your investment, decide what you want an HR consultant to accomplish before hiring one.
Advertise for helpUse industry job banks to view resumes and list your contract or position.
Hire a large firm with multiple specialistsThe bigger your company and the higher the stakes, the greater the odds that you'll need a major HR consulting player to help address your staffing challenges. Get recommendations from other executives or do your own investigation.
Hire a small firm for custom solutionsSmall companies and independent consultants can offer flexibility in HR consulting that's especially helpful for smaller businesses.
- When you need a concise report on the status of your company's HR processes with third-party neutrality, ask for an audit.
- Bring in an HR consultant for ongoing and regularly scheduled employee training in areas like sexual harassment or safety issues.
- An HR consultant can help you learn your areas of liability with contractors.
- Once you form a good working relationship with an HR consultant, you can contract with them for consistency.
- Look for multilingual consultants.
- Hire a union-savvy HR consultant and labor specialist for sensitive union issues.