- Benefits Administration
- Interpersonal Communication Skills
- Salary Tools for Aerospace and Defense Employment
Purchasing Resources for Overtime
Find Out Why HR Managers Are Using Visa Healthcare Cards. Learn More!
Online Rewards knows that positive, appreciative work environments help you retain top talent. Our web-based rewards program makes implementation easy. Contact us today.
Download Overtime White Papers
Overtime happens when an employee is scheduled and paid for additional hours at work. It usually includes any work done beyond 40 hours per week. Overtime is paid at a higher rate than a worker normally receives, usually their regular pay rate plus 50 percent. This is also referred to as time and a half.
There are both advantages and disadvantages to over time. The advantages include:
* Workers have the opportunity to work more and make more money, beyond the normal 40 hour work schedule.
* It provides the company with a way to get time-sensitive projects done using their current work force, eliminating the need to hire temporary workers.
The disadvantages of overtime include:
* If overtime is required, employees have to work additional hours whether they want to or not.
* If a family becomes depend on the money from regular overtime, they may find themselves in a bind if that overtime is eliminated.
* It requires that a company pays workers more than the regular hourly rate, which can put a strain on business finances.
As you can see, overtime is great for workers who need and want the money and businesses in certain situations, but can be a stressful for other workers if mandatory and costly for many businesses. Business.com is a great resource for more information on overtime.