Manufacturers provide a large variety of platform carts and hand carts. Hand trucks are carts that you push by hand, and platform carts have a horizontal platform where you put the load. Most platform carts are also hand trucks, and many upright hand trucks also convert into platform carts when needed.
Platform hand truck frames are made of the following materials:
1. Steel hand trucks are the strongest, most durable and heaviest.
2. Steel pipe frames reduce the weight but maintain a hand truck’s durability.
3. Aluminum hand trucks cost and weigh less than steel, but won't hold as heavy a load.
4. Magnesium hand trucks are lightweight and durable.
5. Fiberglass platform hand trucks are rust-free, durable and lightweight.
Choose a steel or aluminum platform hand cart for general useMost vendors carry steel and aluminum platform hand carts. Look for features suited to your needs: a foldable one if you have a small office or a lightweight one if you will often lift it into a van or truck or move loads up stairs with it. Check the load capacity to make sure it will hold enough weight for your purposes.
Buy convertible or adjustable platform hand trucks if you have loads of many sizesConvertible hand trucks carry loads in two positions: upright on two wheels, or horizontally on four wheels. They hold twice the weight in the four-wheel position than in the two-wheel position.
Order motorized and custom hand trucks for specialized needsMotorized platform trucks are made for moving heavy objects like refrigerators. Several companies will build custom hand trucks for your specific needs if you can't find one that works well for you.
Pick a flat platform hand truck for large loads that stay on the same levelPlatform hand carts that always ride on all four wheels are a good choice if you have large loads that you move around a one-level warehouse. These types of carts are sturdy and often inexpensive. On the downside, they lack maneuverability and take up space when not in use.
- Manufacturers classify hand trucks as heavy duty or standard. Choose a heavy duty platform hand truck if you will carry loads over 600 pounds.