Shims are like paper clips—no glamour until you need one. Yet shims offer both cost and time savings by providing a means for making mechanical spacing adjustments between two materials. For example, instead of grinding the bottom of a machine or table leg to make it level with the floor, simply place some shims underneath. Shims also maintain a buffer zone to suppress vibration, noise and wear.
Buy shims based on thickness, width and height with tapered, flat, circular, rectangular or other special shapes. Get special alloys, plastic or laminated shims for your business requirements. When looking for shims consider the following:
1. Choose steel shims for their anti-corrosive properties.
2. Get industrial shims made of various metals, alloys, plastic and laminates.
3. Find the right valve shim for a particular engine brand.
4. Locate manufacturers that work with you for your shim requirements.
Buy steel shims in kits for extra savingsStainless steel shims provide strength and good protection under corrosive conditions.
Select from a variety of industrial shimsThese providers offer a full range of different materials and types. Buy shims that include plastic, metal, kits and laminated shims for many industrial applications such as machine tools, railways, automobiles and industrial manufacturing.
Locate valve shims designed for your engineValve shims make adjustments between a cam lobe and valve.
Choose shim stock based on material and sheet sizeBuy shim stock by size (width, length and thickness) and material for your required spacing needs. Typically, use metal snips or scissors to cut the shapes. Sheet steel takes solder easily.
Work with a shim manufacturer for custom solutionsChoose a shim maker that offers precut shims or fabricates your designs in a timely manner. These companies provide all types of materials and sizes.
- In many environments, laminated shims offer several advantages over plastic and metal. You peel away layers for a more precise fit, which in turn makes a quick fix in industrial settings where production needs to continue. The semi-solid laminated shim contains a solid base with laminated layers on top.