AS9100 standards came into effect in 1999, superseding the previous standards developed by the Aerospace Industries Association (AIA). Aerospace standards improved upon the previous body of standards and globalized them including an international agreement with Europe, Brazil and Japan. Aerospace standards control quality, bring into line consumer needs and regulate subcontractors without infringement on the freedom of product developers.
AS9100 training is necessary for companies wishing to work in the aerospace industry. The training brings a company's operations up to AS910 standards. The aerospace industry uses the AS9100 quality manual for auditing compliance to standards. Safety, airworthiness and product conformity form the foundations of the AS9100 standards.
1. Any company doing work in the aerospace industry must gain certification from AS9100 auditors. Most companies hire an AS9100 consulting firm to help them get employees and company operations up to these standards before the audit.
2. AS9100 standards help contractors, vendors and suppliers conform to the same quality, manufacturing materials, procedures and production processes.
3. Personnel trained in AS9100 auditing ensure compliance to the AS9100 standards and issue certification.
4. Your employees must attend training and gain certification in AS9100 standards that relate to your business.
Familiarize yourself with AS9100 standardsIf you are contemplating working in the aerospace industry, you need to become acquainted with the AS9100 standards.
Train your staff to become compliant with aerospace industry standardsIn order to receive certification in the national aerospace standard, you need to use the appropriate documentation and train your staff. There are outside firms that will assess your business for compliance, train your staff and perform a practice audit to prepare you for the real thing.
Research business opportunities that require AS9100 standardsIf you're looking for job or business opportunities use commercial and government listings. The certification allows you to explore opportunities that aren't available to non-certified companies.
NASA's small business website contains info about small business programs, opportunities and pertinent information about working with it. You can also subscribe to its newsletter.
- Invest in software that is compliant with documentation for aerospace industry standards.