In this high-speed world, rare is the business that can thrive without working online. Free Internet access is a great option to explore if you are looking to save a few dollars. With numerous free Internet service providers, you can find free Internet access that can keep your business sailing through cyberspace without taking the shirt off your back.
Here are some important things to consider about free Internet access:
1. Free Internet access is ideal for the home office and for companies with a very small number of employees who work online.
2. Keep in mind that some free Internet service providers may charge for certain services. Be sure to uncover any hidden fees upfront.
3. Free dial up may not be so free if the calls are considered long distance. Brush up on your geography to find out where your dial up is connecting before signing on the dotted line.
4. Free Internet access has the reputation of moving slower than other high speed options such as DSL and cable. If you are going to be online a lot, be prepared to have patience.
Is free Internet access really for you?Factors such as how many employees you have, what you use the Internet for, and how much time you spend online will determine the minimum connection speed you need to keep your business up and running. Find out if free Internet access is a practical solution for your business needs before you make the next move.
Choose free Internet service providers that work for your businessWhile free Internet access is not as common as it used to be, there are still some great options out there for small businesses.
Take advantage of free wireless Internet accessIf you have a laptop, look no further than your local coffee shop, lounge or public library for free Internet access. Many of these locations are set up for free wireless Internet access with the intention of drawing customers in. But even if you don't make an expensive purchase, you can still log on and surf the web on their dime. You'll need a laptop that is configured for wireless or equipped with a wireless adapter card.
Know when free dial up is not the best solutionIn the perfect world, everything would be free. But sometimes just because a service comes without a price tag doesn't mean you aren't going to pay the price. If your business depends on an online presence to survive, or if you are constantly checking email, uploading files or updating your website, chances are free Internet access may end up costing more than you think in terms of time.
- Free dial up is great for businesses that need email and Internet access, but don't rely on the web to run their day-to-day operations.
- Beware of ISPs that try to up-sell you on a faster service, or lure you in with a free Internet access trial only to start charging high rates after a few months.
- If you work from home or are constantly on the move with your laptop in tow, take advantage of hotspots that offer free wireless Internet access.
- Like everything else in this world, you get what you pay for. Free Internet access will get you online, but don't expect any bells and whistles.