Data warehousing is the comprehensive organization and storage of your company’s digital data, be it financial, customer information, or sales. With data storage services, you have access to this repository, which is available for analysis and reporting to further business growth. As a window into your enterprise, data warehousing becomes the basis for forecasting and strategic decision-making as well as the foundation of customer relationship management (CRM).
When shopping for data warehousing solutions, consider the following:
1. Data warehousing as the foundation of business intelligence.
2. Data warehousing solutions and platforms.
3. Data warehouse management services and consultants.
4. Data storage services.
Data warehousing as the foundation of business intelligenceData that exists in fragmented, departmental silos cannot be mined and put to work, leaving management with an incomplete view of the company. Through data warehousing solutions, a single, consistent repository of enterprise data is created that is culled and analyzed to become the basis of an overall business intelligence strategy.
Data warehousing solutions and platformsOracle, SAS, SAP BW, Microsoft, Sybase and MySQL are the big players in business intelligence and, therefore, data warehousing solutions. Written as large enterprise systems, their components are often modular and can be integrated into more specific systems as HP did with Oracle to create HP's Business Intelligence Data Warehousing platform.
Data warehouse management services and consultantsMost data warehouse management consultants are either with the consulting branch of a solution provider or offer solutions based on a combination of partner technologies.
Data storage servicesWhile its implications in terms of accessibility and security should be carefully scrutinized, outsourcing your data warehousing to online or offshore data storage services has the advantages of greater capacity plus off-site backup for your data.
- Approach data warehouse management as part of a larger business intelligence project.
- Include all customer-related data in your data warehousing efforts for better marketing and customer service.
- Look for data warehousing solutions that are properly scaled to your business size and industry, allowing for future growth.
- Data management software is an ever-evolving part of business intelligence. Stay abreast of new developments via industry newsletters, conferences and webinars.