Perhaps the best illustration of the sea change in information technology (IT) over the past decade was the shift by huge technology makers from manufacturing to IT consulting services, notably by IBM. Instead of making servers and data systems, Big Tech took over the IT departments of the companies themselves from soup to nuts, even hiring away their former tech staff employees.
IT services outsourcing and IT consulting services are now the bulk of info-tech billing, particularly since companies have moved to a few standard back office systems and thanks to widely available, always on broadband Internet.
Covered in this guide:
1. Hiring a large IT services outsourcing provider
2. IT consulting services and your short-term project
3. Going abroad for IT services outsourcing talent
4. Balancing staff and It consulting services
Find and price IT services outsourcingThe business press covered the big deals of late in IT services outsourcing with gusto, but remember that the multi-million dollar deals are, in part, a reflection of a contract covering sometimes thousands of users across several countries -- even globally -- doing security, onsite help, remote help, database administration, training and other key IT duties.
IT consulting as an alternative to IT services outsourcingIf you what you need is one-off project attention -- like buying and installing a server, establishing a new network or customizing software -- then an IT consultant might do the trick. IT consulting services can also help with training, security, data backup and data transfer issues.
IT consulting firms.
Consider an international option for IT services outsourcingIf budgets are tight or major vendors can't seem to find a fit for your portfolio of needs, consider a foreign supplier of IT services outsourcing looking to grow. Thanks to the Web, "nearshore" providers of IT services outsourcing can also handle database administration, security, web development and a host of other projects. Some have even expanded to U.S. locations to do onsite help and IT consulting services.
Small businesses can farm out small jobs in IT services outsourcingFor small to medium sized businesses, there is a middle road, a kind of IT services outsourcing known as managed services. Instead of maintaining a server for e-mail, for example, your company would rent space at a data center and simply connect to it, like Web mail.
managed service providers.
- Hiring IT services outsourcing or IT consulting services is always a matter of balancing full-time staff with what is need on occasion. Always review in-house talent before hiring an expensive ringer to solve your IT services outsourcing problems.
- IT services outsourcing contracts usually stretch over several years, in order to insure a return on investment for the provider. But IT services outsourcing is highly negotiable, so be ready to deal.
- If your company is too small or too strapped to hire IT services outsourcing help, consider outsourcing the entire process. Many offshore provider of IT services will manage your e-mail or databases for a monthly fee. But, be ready to have your data distant.