Computer programming employment is a growing field. While some US companies outsource portions of the jobs in this area, you can still find a good paying job in this field, especially if you are willing to move to a location where these jobs are popular.
Many industries rely on computer programmers, including data processing, systems design, software and video games. You can find a job in large, medium or small companies, or even start your own business. Types of computer programming jobs include:
1. Software programmers who write software that runs on personal computers.
2. Programmers who develop web-based applications and databases.
3. Computer programming careers in developing operating systems or dealing with computer security.
Base your choices for careers in computer programming on your experienceCareer websites can give you lots of computer programming employment information. Learn what training you need, where the best jobs are and what duties a computer programmer is likely to have to perform. Find out which types of companies hire computer programmers.
Identify computer programming salariesAs with any career, computer programming salaries vary based on geography and type of company. Get information on where the best-paying jobs are by location or by other variables, then use this information to guide your job search. This provides you with a baseline if a potential employer asks you for your salary requirements.
US Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Search computer programmer job listingsWebsites list jobs in computer programming under several categories that depend on the job and which site you consult. Use a technology-oriented job search site--most weed out non-technology jobs. Or check several categories on job search sites, including computer-related jobs and information technology (IT) fields.
- Many computer programmers participate in online forums. Find an online forum that centers around the type of programming you want to do, and ask computer programming career questions of those employed in the industry.
- Since many computer programming languages exist, make a section on your resume that lists the languages you know how to write.