A family law firm will help clients with legal relationships between husbands, wives and children. Family court documents are filed in connection with divorce, legal separation, annulments, custody of children, paternity and child support.
For example, the first step in obtaining a divorce is to file a complaint or a petition with a local state court. A divorce form template can be used by a pro se petitioner or plaintiff to help in generating the required document. Such a template may have fields in which you can place the text containing information about your case. Even though a template might be generated by a family law legal forms expert familiar with state law, the template or form may not be accepted by the local court. Also, a state may have up to five different self help divorce forms depending on whether there are children, debts or property. For contested divorces, or more complex divorces, there may be no useful family court divorce forms.
In California and Massachusetts same-sex marriages are allowed, and in many other states and municipalities there are laws concerning domestic partners. Family law documents are needed for domestic partners as well as husbands and wives.
There are a number of ways a pro se litigant can learn how to file family court forms:
- The local court itself may provide a facilitator or self-help service for individuals, and may provide family law legal forms.
- Legal aid societies may offer services, especially in cases of domestic violence.
- The administrators of the state court may, through its website, provide family court forms.
- Private vendors, sometimes affiliated with family law firms, sell a marriage separation agreement template, self help divorce forms or various family law documents.
- Online, there are free prenuptial forms and a free child support agreement template.
Get general information about the particular legal issue requiring family court formsThere are a number of websites that give general explanations of issues in family law.
Download family court documents from vendors of such documentsThere are a number of websites that sell individual forms. In the case of self help divorce forms, the divorce form templates come in bundles of 4 or 5 forms, depending on the details of the divorce.
How to serve family court documents and pleadingsThe rules of civil procedures for each state must be followed for a particular court to obtain jurisdiction over a defendant or respondent. This requires service of process or giving legal notice.
- The websites to the administrators of state courts allow family court forms and family law forms to be downloaded free of charge.