Biotech consultants work with individuals, businesses and non-profits to turn research into a marketable product. Biotech consulting is a broad term for a fast-growing industry; biotech experts may provide everything from scientific expertise to business savvy. The best biotech consulting firms combine both to give you solid advice as you raise capital, develop your product and find a market.
Biotechnology consulting is an outgrowth of the management consultancy industry. A biotechnology consultant may provide any or all of the following services:
1. Biotechnology experts explore the full range of a concept's application.
2. Biotech consultants carry out focused market research to determine the likely demand for a product.
3. A biotech consultant makes sure an idea is protected against intellectual property theft and licensed as needed.
4. Biotech consulting is expected to streamline the production process for maximum efficiency and quick profit.
5. A biotechnology consultancy will write a comprehensive business plan and develop presentations for potential investors.
6. Biotechnology consultants raise money for research and development through grants and private investments.
Research a biotechnology consultant thoroughlyAsk for and call on all the referrals given to you by your potential biotech consultants. Since this is such a new and growing industry segment, you'll want to make sure you are bringing in top professionals since it is your business on the line.
Use a short-term biotechnology consulting contract to create a template for your projectBring in the biotech experts to write the basic terms and conditions of your project before turning it over to staff or funding the project. Save possible time and money on proposals that may not work after all.
Turn the biotech specialists into in-house employeesWhile many biotechnology specialists prefer to move from company to company to work on a limited basis and get a variety of projects under their belts, many other biotechnology consultants are looking for permanence with a solid company that has room for growth. consider adding a biotech expert to your payroll so that you don't have to deal with the issues associated with outsourcing.
- Biotechnology experts do not typically care where they work as long as they are continually challenged. Provide an exciting environment and you can forgo the consultancy search once you've hired the best for your own staffing requirements.