Mobility scooters extend the range of people whose infirmities limit their mobility within their neighborhoods and assist them with their daily tasks. Scooter trailers extend the usefulness of mobility scooters by allowing their users to take their units with them when they travel outside of their neighborhoods, whether within their home city or on the road.
A mobility scooter trailer provides an inexpensive alternative to buying a van and lift gate to carry an electric wheelchair or mobility scooter, provided the scooter user has the mobility to get in and out of the chair with minimal assistance. Scooter trailers ride low to the ground to make them easy to load and unload the scooter; electric scooter trailers feature power doors and winches to further assist with the loading process.
Scooter trailers provide these further advantages:
1. Eliminate the need to mount hoisting equipment to your vehicle.
2. Let you transport your scooter without having to disassemble it for travel and reassemble it at your destination.
3. Free up space in your vehicle for luggage and other travel items with a towing scooter rig.
Haul it around with a scooter trailer as mobile as your scooterTowing a scooter, or anything, in a trailer requires adjusting driving habits. Some electric scooter trailers and other models of trailers for scooters feature innovative designs to make the trailer more responsive to the vehicle's driver.
Lighten the load with a lightweight scooter trailerWith the rising price of gas, scooter trailers that weigh less are welcome news for people of limited mobility on limited budgets who want to take their scooters with them to better enjoy their trips.
Cover the place you put your backsideElectric scooter trailers make loading and unloading your scooter a breeze, but open-top models expose it to the elements--not a good idea when you're hauling the scooter in bad weather, and certainly not when you sit down.
Tow your scooter in style with a replica scooter trailerTrailers for scooters doesn't have to look boring to do its job. Many people like to travel the road in style, and custom designed motor scooter trailers let their scooters travel in style, too.
- Be sure you have adequate automotive hardware to tow your scooter trailer and that your rear suspension is up to the task. Use a hitch rated for the maximum towing weight of your vehicle. Typically, the suspension on a sport utility vehicle is closer to that of a car than a pickup truck.
- Consider not only the vehicle's rated tongue weight but also the design of the scooter trailer. The further the scooter's weight is extended from the trailer hitch, the more force it exerts on the hitch.