Whether you need to install a distributed control system or you have to upgrade one to fit in with today's technology, keep in mind that manufacturers usually custom make DCS systems. DCS systems do not function with one central unit or in one location, rather each component has its own controller and all controllers connect to a network for communication and monitoring. You will find large DCS systems in power plants and electrical grids.
Distributed control system vendors have received competition from other control systems such as PACs and PLCs. Yet, distributed control system providers have closed the gaps between the functions that users of large systems continually use.
1. DCS users control the manufacturing processes such as power plants, food and beverage production, pharmaceutical production and oil refining.
2. Distributed control systems vendors are transitioning from supplying DCS hardware to software development, although they do hardware support for their projects.
3. Manufacturers of distributed control systems application portfolios custom build for each project and contain the flexibility for future value-added services.
4. Distributed control system vendors can upgrade old DCS systems to up-to-date standards.
Anticipate your company's need for DCSAn introduction to distributed control systems begins with understanding what this system can provide. Essentially it can control the processing of materials that go through a production process needing different steps to get to completion. What once took teams of workers to do, a DCS systems does through controls at set points that a network coordinates.
Use a DCS for big and small operationsA distributed control system is all about managing your manufacturing processes. A manufacturer can modify all DCS systems to fit your specialized business needs.
Invest in DCS built to evolve with new technologiesDCS technology has gone through changes. US manufacturers no longer make the hardware but concentrate on the software end. However, US DCS companies are customer savvy and make DCS compatible with other systems. Look for software that plans to incorporate new DCS technology.
- DCS systems require WAN and LAN networks. If your company doesn't have the network support required for DCS, installing a network will be an additional expense.