Document finishing refers to any of a number of ways to make a printed document ready for use. Collating is sorting pages in the correct order. Large machines exist that cut whole stacks of paper in one fell swoop. Folding machines can automatically fold documents in varying configurations. Shrink wrapping ensures document copies arrive in pristine condition. These are all examples of document finishing systems.
Evaluate your document finishing needs and the labor available to perform these tasks. Though printing companies generally provide these services, you may save money or time by purchasing document finishing equipment to perform some of these tasks in-house. Purchase a small laminating machine for in-house laminating. Laminating is a method of permanently covering pages with clear plastic. For each type of finishing, you can choose to handle it in-house or out-source:
1. Binding is any way to make a stack of pages into a book, from stapling and comb binding to actual mass production of bound manuals.
2. Document joggers take a stack of pages that emerges in a messy pile from a high-speed duplicator and lines up all the pages perfectly for binding, cutting or folding.
3. Shrink wrap and other packaging are ways to get your documents safely to where they're going, whether in individual packages or in bulk.
Purchase document joggers and paper handling equipmentChoose the specific type of document binding, including plastic coil, comb, wire spiral and loop bindings. Save time by using document joggers and paper folding machines to help with in-house jobs.
Use online printing services for document finishingLarger jobs may require out-sourcing binding services. Use outlets that provide printing services, if you prefer to pay for them rather than do them in-house.
Select packaging for document finishing servicesShrink wrapping, vacuum packaging and stretch wrappers require specialized equipment for document finishing services. Opt for custom packaging services for your business.
- Purchase a paper folding machine to fold letters, invoices and other documents. An automated letter opener can open large stack of incoming payments.
- Document joggers can align the jumbled pages that fly out of your high-speed copier.