Do you consider yourself a marketer? If so, you need to make sure your content marketing is up to par.
Whether you are just starting content marketing or you feel you need to make your strategy a little better, there are always things you can do to improve your content marketing strategy.
Understand Your User Base
If you don't truly understand your user base, your content marketing will reflect it. You may be wasting valuable resources targeting the wrong demographic. Take the time to truly understand the demographics and psychographics of your users.
- Research reported by TMG found that 90% of customers think that custom content created by marketers is valuable; 73% prefer to get information about a company through custom content, as opposed to traditional advertisements; and 61% are more likely to buy from a company that utilizes content marketing. (Tweet this stat!)
Related: Look for online marketing vendors who can help you set up your campaigns
Diversify Your Content
If you want to seem fresh and new, diversify your content. There are many ways to do this. Take a look at just a few examples:
- Blog Posts --A blog can be a great way to connect with your audience and establish yourself as a leader in your industry. How-to's, top ten lists, and product reviews are great formats for providing readers with quality information.
- Videos -- If you really want to grab attention, use videos. With short videos, you can intensify your marketing strategy. Not only are you telling customers about your product, you are showing them. 46% of internet users will likely to seek out information about a product or service after seeing it in an online video (Eloqua). (Tweet this stat!)
- White Papers -- White papers show a different level of expertise than just a blog post. It has a different style and more detailed statistics.
Update the Content You Have
It's important to keep fresh, up-to date, relevant content in front of your audience. Here are several ways you can update your content:
- Compare data: If you have a white paper about a product or service, but haven't looked at it in years, it's likely inaccurate. Update and compare it to old data to showcase any trends you may discover.
- Create a new vision: A blog post from five years ago could easily be turned into a video or podcast now. Finding new ways to present your old content makes it fresh again.
- Refresh your public information: Update your about page and any other place where your company provides pertinent information.
Don't Forget About Mobile Technology
Because of advancing internet services like T-mobile 4g, users today are able to consume content from a variety of devices. You will get people coming to your content using:
- Desktop computers
- Other devices
Because of the variety of devices people use, you need to make sure that your content is easily accessible on many different platforms. For example, create a mobile app for your company's website or blog to ensure a better view on a smaller screen.
Have Your Own Voice
If you are providing the content for a site, it is important to have your own voice. Each blog or website should have a consistent style. If they do not, it can get confusing for the audience. Things that contribute to the voice of the content include:
- Tone/style of the writing -- is it professional and authoritative or informal and familiar?
- Style of videos or images -- including subject, content, graphics, and audio.
- Length of the content
Keeping a unique and consistent tone through all of your content can be difficult. But it is vital, especially for larger companies that need to project a more professional, corporate image.
Putting together the best content marketing strategy possible is not always easy. However, when you are ramping up your strategy, one of the most important things is to make sure to go back over what you are doing. You are sure to find areas that you can easily improve.
Bio: DJ Miller is a graduate student at the University of Tampa. He is an avid gadget geek who spends most his time writing on anything tech related. In his spare time he likes to travel, play soccer, and watch movies. You can follow him on twitter @MillerHeWrote