If shipping products or materials is a mainstay of your business, protecting those goods while in transit is key to your success. To prevent items from getting damaged during shipping, foam packaging may be the answer. With dozens of configurations available, including foam rolls, Styrofoam packaging peanuts, foam pouches, foam sheets, convoluted foam, cohesive foam, foam tubes, plank foam, and anti-static foam, there's probably a foam packaging product that will work for you.
When choosing which type of foam packaging to use, keep the following questions in mind:
1. How fragile is your product? (Instapak Quick foam packaging may be your answer.)
2. Is the item you're shipping a standard box or rectangular shape or is it an odd shape? (You may need custom foam packaging.)
3. How heavy is the item you're packing? (Plank foam can protect corners.)
4. Can your item be damaged by static? (Anti-static foam packaging is available.)
5. Is it important to you or your customers that you use recycled or bio-degradable foam packaging?
Foam rollsFoam rolls come in thicknesses ranging from 1/16" to 3", are typically 12", 24" or 36" inches wide and may be up to 75' long. For easy reconfiguration to fit your boxes and materials, choose perforated foam rolls. Most vendors offer discounts when you purchase more than one foam roll.
Styrofoam packaging peanutsA popular packaging choice, packing peanuts fill empty space in packages and interlock to avoid settling. Styrofoam packaging peanuts are typically a low-cost item and a warehouse favorite due to their light weight. If you're concerned about the environment, choose bio-degradable packing peanuts or recycled packing peanuts.
packaging peanuts at Business.com.
Foam pouchesWhen you want to ship small items in envelopes but want added protection, consider foam pouches. These handy items come in a variety of sizes that fit within standard envelope sizes.
Convoluted foam packagingTo protect delicate equipment, such as cameras, tools, instruments or electronics, use egg-carton-shaped convoluted foam packaging. Convoluted foam packaging is interlocking to protect items and can be cut to your desired size.
Instapak Quick foam packagingInstapak Quick foam is a form of expandable foam in a bag that is ideal for fragile shipments. The expandable foam packaging molds to the shape of whatever you are shipping for ultimate protection and eliminates messy cleanup. Some types of expandable foam packaging require a bag warmer for inflation.
Custom foam packagingWhen your products and materials require the utmost protection, consider custom foam packaging options that are designed with your specific materials in mind.
- If you ship odd-shaped products, consider using cohesive foam packaging, which sticks to itself to form a protective shell.
- Foam packaging in the shape of a tube is ideal for long, slender items.
- Foam rolls can be bulky; make sure you have adequate storage space for them.