Mobile phones have certainly become crucial to the successful operation of many businesses. And when they don’t work well--or not at all–the operation of the business can suffer.
Aside from being just plain annoying, poor cellular reception affects how well a business operates on any given day. Not being able to effectively communicate with your employees and clients can decrease productivity, costing you time and money. And, unfortunately, cellular service providers have yet to achieve a perfectly seamless wireless network to solve the seemingly constant problems of dropped calls and poor reception.
A variety of mobile phone antennas, including external antennas, cell phone amplifiers/repeaters and signal boosters, can address the problems of dropped calls, reduced service ranges, fading signals, poor voice quality and poor coverage areas.
You might want to ask yourself the following questions when choosing the cell phone antennas that will meet the needs of your business:
1. What is my budget for a wireless phone antenna?
2. Is cellular reception a concern in the office, at home or on the road?
3. Has my staff experienced poor, localized coverage (due to obstacles and interference) or problems with geographical distance (distance between the tower and the phone)?
Upgrade your antennaA cell phone external antenna is, by far, the most inexpensive solution to your business's poor cellular reception problems. An external cell phone antenna attaches to the RF port in your cellular phone, via a coax cable. The antennas are portable and can be used whenever and wherever you experience weak or nonexistent signals. Adaptors can be used on cell phones that do not have an RF port. Cell phone external antennas are usually magnetic or glass-mounted.
Extend your cellular service in poor coverage areasA cell phone amplifier amplifies both transmit and receive signals and is ideal in poor coverage areas. You can buy cell phone amplifiers, which can increase your coverage area up to 50 miles or more, as wireless (repeaters) or direct connection units (wired). A wireless cell phone amplifier/repeater amplifies and rebroadcasts the signal back to your cell phone, all without a physical connection to your phone. A direct connect amplifier must be connected to the antenna port on your phone. Amplifiers are designed to operate on certain frequency ranges (800MHz cellular, iDEN and 1900MHz PCS), so you'll need to first find your phone's frequency before purchasing a cell phone amplifier.
Boost your cellular phone signalA cell phone antenna booster is a portable, extremely effective signal amplifier for those plagued with weak signals on their mobile networks. A cell phone antenna booster can used anywhere, and is typically sold in kits designed specifically for the home/office or vehicle.
- Dual-band cell phone antennas (for analog, digital cellular and digital PCS) make the most sense for improved cellular reception when traveling in and out of coverage areas. Single-band antennas are ideal for rural areas, or if you are on the edge of your coverage area.
- Consider Yagi panel antennas if you are located in a remote area.