Telephone networking services should never be left out of your business plan. You've got to communicate with your customers. They have to be able to reach you to buy your products and services.
Whether you're selling flowers, tires or investment advice, your business needs a phone system. If you've got more than one employee you need to understand why networking telephones correctly is key to servicing your customers.
- Decide if you can handle business telephone networking yourself or whether you need a company that provides business telephone networking services.
- Consider voice-over-IP telephone networking; it may be a good fit for your business.
- Use telephone networking techniques that protect your investment.
Leave telephone networking to the professionals
Telephone switching systems, the basic building blocks of telephone networking, usually require professional installation and support. Unless you have prior experience with business phone networking, call a professional.
Decide if a Voice-over-IP telephone networking solution is right for your business
Voice-over-IP (VoIP) is coming of age. This can be a great solution for both small and larger enterprises. If your business will have one or more dedicated high-speed Internet connections, VoIP could be right for you.
Future-proof telephone system networking
Networking telephones is easy when wiring is already in place. Make sure the solution you select is flexible and will grow with your business. How many employees will you have a year from now? In 5 years? Where possible, use Category 5e or better wiring even for 2-wire phone extensions. Even if you decide to go with an older analog system now, consider future needs when making telephone system networking decisions.
Look into utilizing overhead paging and music-on-hold for your growing business. If your location will have any type of warehouse or outdoor work areas, wiring and equipment is needed to alert employees in these areas to customer calls.
- Don't be oversold. Telephone networking companies love their technology and they want to sell you as much of it as possible. Buy only what you need.
- Use a telephone networking company to make connections between the phone company lines and your phone networking system. A little up-front money will save you in the long run.
- Ensure the installation agreement includes a full network communications test. Warranty or not, telephone networking services are not complete until everything works.