Renting a house is a great way to avoid the monotony, expense and confinement of a hotel room if you're facing an extended business stay or a temporary job. Home rental make the most sense if your out-of-town business or temporary position is going to last for months or longer.
Here are the top benefits to renting a house:
1. Renting a house - even a nice rental house with plenty of room and amenities - is almost always much cheaper than paying nightly hotel rates.
2. A rental house gives you plenty of extra indoor and outdoor space in which to live, exercise, cook, and, best of all, work more productively.
3. Houses for rent by owner offer flexibility hotel rooms cannot - allowing you to eat, arrive and depart, exercise, and more - without being confined to a schedule (other than the lease term restrictions).
Find house rental listings to fit your budgetBegin with a realistic budget - how much rental house can you afford? Don't skimp on the rental house or your absolute must-haves (for example, air conditioning in the South Florida rental home), but think twice before breaking the bank on that rental home with its own pool, tennis court, and golf course. Get what you need - and what you can afford - in a rental home.
Prioritize your home rental needsRenting a house gives you the flexibility to move your family with you - especially if the temporary assignment is expected to last beyond a couple of months - so stop to consider any special home rental needs beyond budget and proximity to the office. Find conveniently located houses for rent by owner with extra bedrooms, in good school districts, and near shops and other services.
Work with a rental home specialist to find houses for rent by ownerWant to rent a house, but live too far away from your new location to pound the pavement yourself in your hunt for house rentals? No problem - find a real estate agent, property manager, or rental home company that specializes in house rentals. The home rental agent can narrow the rental home options for you, and match you up with the newest house rental listings that meet your criteria.
Rent a house through online ads for home rental listingsIf you're in the market to rent a house, you're in luck. With the seller's housing market as it is, there are plenty of owners who are choosing to rent out their houses, rather than risk paying two mortgages while their old home sits in the stagnant market.
- Always, always insist on a written lease clearly spelling out the rental home lease terms - even on short-term house rentals.
- Find a rental house through word of mouth - put out your feelers for house rental or sublet opportunities.
- If your dog really is your best friend, search rental home listings that allow pets. If you're not sure, ask. Many rental home owners allow a pet with an increased deposit and/or monthly rent.
- Rent a house that's furnished for temporary assignments that are too far away, for a very short time, or if it's just unrealistic to move your furniture into your new rental home.
- If you need special home rental accommodations, such as a handicapped-accessible home or wheelchair lift/ramp, take the time to find the right rental home to meet these needs.
- If you're not sure how long your stay will be, look for a landlord who is flexible with the home rental terms - and is willing to put it in writing in the rental home lease.