There is no quick fix for improving long-term SEO. Sure, quick changes can make a difference here and there, but in order to be successful with SEO in the long-term, long-term strategies are a must. According to a recent report from Ascend2, marketers who rate their ability of their companies' SEO strategy as very successful have different priorities than those who consider their strategies unsuccessful. Perhaps the most obvious difference between the groups is their approach to social media integration: 38% of those with a superior strategy describe their integration strategy and tactics as extensive, compared to just 2% of those with an inferior strategy (Tweet this stat!). Let's take a look at the top dogs, underdogs, and how you can boost your business' integration.
Top Dog vs. Underdog
Knowing the numbers about what makes others successful can help your marketing team make better decisions about their own strategies and campaigns. Competitive analysis, internal analytics and industry research are all a part of this. According to the Ascend2 report, the top SEO performers have three common objectives: improve organic search rankings (55%), increase traffic conversion rate (51%) and increase website traffic (38%). Other findings from the study of nearly 600 business leaders include:
- The most effective SEO tactics for top performers are creating original content (55% vs. 33%), updating website content (43% vs. 42%) and keyword management (42% vs. 29%).
- The most difficult SEO tactics for those with inferior strategies are external link building (40%), creating original content (40%), keyword management (35%) and social media integration (34%).
- The most useful metrics for tracking and analyzing SEO performance, across the board, are conversion rate, website visitor traffic and trends, engagement, and search rankings by keyword.
Related: Optimize your SEO strategy now with the help of an agency!
How to Integrate SEO and Social Media Efforts
While there are tons of takeaways from this study, it's clear that SEO and social media integration is a must. However, it's also one of the most difficult challenges for businesses to overcome. If you're looking to increase conversion rate, engagement and improve your overall SEO efforts, consider taking these 4 steps towards a more social media integrated SEO strategy.
- Identify themes in SEO performance and social media engagement. Dig in to your analytics for what keywords and phrases are doing well in driving social media and search engine traffic. Look for where overlaps take place and pay attention to any current trends or themes taking place.
- Define your keywords and cross-apply insights. Google Analytics, your webmaster tools, and any social insights you have can help you define what keywords your business should be focusing on right now and in the near future. Those trends and themes you identified in the first step can help you determine what words to go after for search engine and social media optimization.
- Develop an SEO and social sharing optimized content strategy. Your content marketing strategy, from production to distribution, needs to consider both the SEO value and the social engagement potential of piece. Don't neglect either area.
- Ensure your optimized content can be found and easily socially shared. Each piece of content that your produce for SEO should be able to be easily shared. Include social widgets and buttons so your audience, readers and website visitors can share your content with a click.
For those just getting started with SEO and social integration, these 4 steps will help your business go a long way in becoming a top performer. Simply adding social widgets and sharing buttons to your blog posts and content will make a huge difference. If you're already at that point, use social and search insights together to develop a comprehensive set of keywords, themes and content pieces for your team to produce and share.