5U server racks provide some of the most powerful configurations for any business' network. These tower-sized units give you the power of up to 4 processors, as well as an almost endless configuration of storage options.
A hefty price tag generally accompanies a 5-unit rackmount server. As a result, you must determine that you need this much hardware. Smaller server configurations are available that take up much less space and are much more cost-efficient. For those of you operating larger or fast-growing networks, however, 5U racks will likely be your best option.
Once you have decided that a five-unit rack server is right for you, be sure to consider:
1. Whether to buy a pre-built 5U rackmount server or to build a custom server;
2. How much processor power you need out of your 5U racks; and
3. What storage options you need your five unit rack server to have.
Research pre-built 5U server racksThe easiest solution for your business is a pre-built 5U rackmount server. Many of the same reputable manufacturers of traditional computers, such as HP and Dell, also produce servers of varying sizes and configurations. The primary advantage of going the pre-built route, especially if you are purchasing your equipment directly from the manufacturer, is that you will receive the best service and warranty plans available.
Comparison shop online for a pre-built 5-unit server rackWhile it is generally recommended to purchase your equipment directly from the manufacturer, those looking to cut costs can turn to third-party retailers. Many online retailers offer 5U racks at great prices, from a wide variety of manufacturers.
Look into customized 5-unit rackmount server optionsBusinesses with very specific needs for their networks may choose to turn to a custom server option. Traditional pre-built 5U server racks are customizable to a certain degree when it comes to speed and storage, but building a custom server from the ground up will allow you to create a unit that is tailored exactly to your network's specifications.
- A 5-unit rack server is a big commitment for space, cost, and maintenance. Make sure that you truly need a server with this much power before you buy.
- If you do decide to purchase 5U rack servers, make sure you find the option best tailored to your needs.