Businesses of all sizes need to transfer their data at some point and often the files are too large to send via email. Emailing large files can crash your email system or slow it down tremendously. The solution to this common type of data transfer problem is to implement FTP servers and integrate them into your business.
There are many kinds of network file transfer protocol servers. Some are meant to be used as personal FTP servers and others are meant to be used exclusively FTP servers for business. You should answer the following questions before deciding which will be the best FTP servers for your business.
1. Will you require business FTP hosting services or will you purchase your own FTP server and manage it?
2. Is it necessary for your FTP servers to be HIPPA and Sarbanes-Oxley compliant?
3. How large are the files that you will be transmitting and do you need unlimited bandwidth for your FTP servers?
Outsource your FTP hostingFrom a cost-benefit analysis standpoint, it is definitely worth considering outsourcing secure FTP hosting. It can be cost prohibitive for small businesses to own their own FTP servers because in addition to the expensive hardware that is required is the expense of hiring personnel to manage the server.
Consider purchasing used FTP rack serversIf you make the decision to own your own FTP server, then consider buying previously owned FTP rack servers to save some money. Often suppliers of used equipment will give you a warranty on the products.
Ensure that your FTP server or your FTP hosting service is secureWhether you ultimately decide on outsourcing your FTP server or not, you need to ensure that you are using secure FTP servers or secure FTP hosting. If you are transmitting sensitive data you will want to make sure that the information is properly encrypted to prevent security breaches.
- Errors can occur with network file transfer protocol servers so you need to find out if your product checks for errors automatically or whether you must manually check for FTP errors.
- If there are files that you send on a regular basis, consider automating the FTP with a script.