When you've got packages that need to be delivered now, call a messenger service. Also known as courier services, these pricey services operate 24/7 and provide same-day, door-to-door delivery across town or across the country. Depending on the type of package, your location and the destination, your item could arrive within as little as an hour. Messenger services can be used for:
- Scheduled service (items are picked up and delivered on a daily or weekly basis).
- Routed service (items are picked up and delivered to various locations).
- On-demand service (items are picked up as needed).
Find a serviceMessenger services are located nationwide and are highly concentrated in major metropolitan areas.
Try FedEx or DHL same-day serviceThese shipping specialists also offer same-day, door-to-door delivery.
Choose delivery timesMost messenger services offer a variety of delivery options. However, delivery options and terms aren't standardized within the industry. Depending on the firm, a "rush" delivery could arrive within one hour, three hours or more. Always ask for a specific guaranteed delivery time to ensure your package arrives in time.
Verify chargesMessenger services employ a variety of pricing methods, all of which can be budget busters. Charges usually vary depending on how quickly a package needs to be delivered and the distance from the pick-up point to the destination. Flat fees are common, as are base fees plus mileage for long-distance deliveries. Additional fees may be required for rush jobs that arrive within a matter of hours.
Place orders onlineMost major messenger services and even some smaller local companies provide online order processing and shipment tracking.
- Develop a relationship. Once you find a reliable messenger service, strengthen your relationship. It may help you in negotiations for volume discounts or faster delivery times.
- Include delivery instructions. Always provide clear delivery notes, such as "leave at reception desk."
- Consider insurance needs. If your items require insurance, ask if the messenger service provides it. Not all do.
- Don't overpay. Don't pay for two-hour delivery if your package doesn't need to arrive until the end of the day.