With social becoming more important to your online marketing plan, customers and Google, it's important that you consider how you can increase followers and fans quickly and efficiently.
One of the easiest ways to increase Likes for your Facebook Page - within Facebook's Promotions Guidelines - is to run a contest or promotion that is "like-gated." However, before getting started, you'll want to read up on some of the basics - from how it works to rules and regulations.
So, what is a "like-gate?"
A like-gate is usually a simple image with text telling users who don't current Like your Facebook Page that they need to like it to access a contest or promotion that is running in a tab on your Facebook Page.
See here that the customer is guided to the like button:
How does Like-gating work?
Through the Facebook Open Graph, 3rd party apps can detect whether a Facebook user has liked your Page or not, so only non-fans will be shown this image.
Once a non-fan likes your Facebook Page, the app will automatically reload to show the default entry or voting page on which the user can enter the contest. Most 3rd party Facebook apps have like-gating as a built-in feature, so you can easily enable it for any contest.
Is Like-Gating Against Facebook's Promotions Guidelines?
No. As the act of liking the Facebook Page does not enter a user into a contest, it is within Facebook's Promotions Guidelines. On the flip side, if you run a contest that uses Facebook's functionality as an entry or voting mechanism, then you are in violation of Facebook's Promotions Guidelines.
Here are some examples of specific contest actions that are not allowed:
- Commenting on a picture on a Facebook Page to enter a contest
- Posting a Facebook Page's Wall to enter a contest
- Having a winner of a contest be determined by the number of likes their entry receives
- Having users post something on their own Wall in order to be eligible to win a contest
What is the typical drop-off rate for Like-Gated Contests?
Typically you can expect a very minimal (~10%) drop-off rate for your contest due to a like-gate. Using a like-gate is more than worth this drop-off, as the other 90%+ of non-fans who do like your Page will open a new avenue to market them again and again.
I suck at PhotoShop! How can I get a professional like-gate image for my Contest?
Most 3rd party Facebook apps have default like-gate images that look great and are tailored to the type of contest or promotion you're running. Be sure to check it out when building your Facebook following.
Bio: Nick Steeves in the Director of Marketing at Wishpond, an All-in-One Marketing Suite for Retailers and Brands