Map design software can cost hundreds of dollars if you buy one on the retail market. Add the cost of yearly upgrades and you’re talking about a sizable investment. However, you may be able to find just what you need through free map designing software programs and tools.
Use free map design software to:
1. Edit existing road maps to meet your specific needs.
2. Create plat maps for new real estate developments.
3. Generate aerial maps of towns, subdivisions and individual streets.
Share a map design programDownload free map making software and tools from shareware sites.
Take a trial run of software to design mapsDownload trial versions. Some companies that design map software allow access to a full program for a limited amount of time. Others offer limited features, but let you use the software indefinitely.
Try satellite mapping softwareFor aerial maps, design software based on satellite views allows you to use arrow keys and your mouse to pinpoint locations. You can also use search terms to focus on specific areas.
World Wind software a free download. Users zoom in from NASA’s Landsat satellite to see any location on Earth. Google has made the process even simpler with Google Earth, which allows you to create content overlays as KML files.
Locate GPS and GIS websitesCheck Global Positioning System (GPS) and Geography Information System (GIS) websites for free map design software. GIS programs capture geographical information to allow you to create density maps and also plot how certain decisions will affect locations.
- If you own real estate appraisal software, map design may already be at your fingertips with tools for making plat maps, street maps, aerial maps and flood maps.
- Consider purchasing the full version of a mapping program if you're satisfied with the trial version.