Open source software is an innovative way to get powerful, high quality software programs for free or at very low cost. Open source software is developed by programmers that offer free redistribution without restrictions on selling or giving away the software.
Open source software includes the program source code. This allows developers to create other programs that can be integrated with the software and companies to customize the software to meet their needs. Open source software is available for many aspects of your business, including:
1. Open-source solutions for database engines and front ends;
2. Office applications for accounting, financial, information technology, and customer management;
3. Voice over IP (VoIP) solutions to run PBX systems, accounting and management and call center solutions.
Find open source software informationMany non-profit organizations offer open source software, list sites and provide vendor information.
Choose an open source software provider for office management solutionsThere are many open source software solutions that help manage financial, IT and other administrative tasks.
Find open source software for database creation and managementOpen source software allows you to create database back and front ends for web-based and network applications.
Find open source software information about telecommunications applicationsMost open source software for VoIP and telecommunications is built on the Asterisk platform. Asterisk is a leading telephony engine and tool kit that allows developers and integrators to create advanced communication solutions.
- While most open source software applications are free, programmers usually accept donations.
- You will probably need support for your open source software -- either using in-house IT staff or a paid consultant.