If you are considering opening your own golf business—whether it be a golf course, driving range, or a small retail golf apparel and equipment store—you need quality and affordable golf clothing and golf accessories.
According to the National Golf Federation (NGF), there are approximately 28.7 million golfers in the United States, and these golf enthusiasts spend around $4.7 billion on equipment (clubs and balls) and accessories (gloves, bags, shoes, umbrellas and golf cart accessories). Millions of dollars more are spent on golf apparel, such as golf shirts, hats and jackets for men, women, and youth. The American love of golf thus translates into a growing and lucrative market for golf apparel and accessories.
As you start planning your business, make sure you do the following:
- Consult with knowledgeable professionals in the golf apparel and accessories business.
- Find a wide range of golf apparel that is sure to fit your customer demographic.
- Cultivate productive and valuable relationships with golf professionals and manufacturers who will keep you abreast of the latest fashion trends in golf clothing.
Identify manufacturers that can help you start your golf apparel and accessories businessWhile your business is in the planning stage, you'll need to cultivate contacts that will help you get up and running as well as develop your business. Not only will you need to find manufacturers of golf clothing and golf accessories, you will need a way to contact potential clients, such as golf facilities, golf professionals and services you will need along the way.
Choose a wide range of affordable and appealing golf clothes that will attract loyal customersOpen retail accounts and consult with sales representatives at a number of manufacturers in order to procure a broad selection of golf apparel for men, women, and children. Be aware of your customer demographics and find unique, affordable, and comfortable items that will earn the loyalty of your customers.
Offer golf accessories that your customers and clients will find irresistible and indispensableBags, footwear and hats are an integral part of a golfer's equipment. Not only are they a fashion statement, they help golfers reach the excellence they aspire to on the golf course.
- Check out your competition. You want to make sure that the golf apparel and golf accessories you offer have the edge over competing businesses in your area. Visit the golf shops at your local golf courses as well as any golf clothing and sporting goods stores in the area. Then, determine what you can offer to set your business apart from the rest.
- One of golf's growing demographics is the youth market. Don't skimp on golf apparel for young men and women, especially teenagers. If they love golf, they will want the latest golf shirt fashions for the course as well as cool accessories for their golf bag and cart.