Although some people viewed longboards as uncool and geeky, they are now soaring in popularity with kids and adults alike. You can find longboard skate enthusiasts racing, exhibition riding or simply cruising down the streets from coast to coast on any given day.
Whether you're looking to get in on the action of the longboard revolution or you want to open your own longboard store, it's important to consider the following basic information:
1. Longboards have a short yet interesting history and are becoming more popular by the day.
2. Longboards have four primary components with countless options and combinations for each to fit any rider's style.
3. Longboarders can cruise the streets in simple forward motion, but there are a number of tricks, moves and styles associated with longboarding.
Get a grip on the terminology, tricks, moves and riding styles for longboardsFor those who prefer a more extreme ride than simply cruising down the street, there are a number of tricks, moves and styles that you can master on longboard skateboards. It's important to learn the terminology behind the sport, as well.
Uptown Skate School in New York or Colorado Skate University in Denver. To familiarize yourself with the different things that you can do on a longboard skate, check out the reference list of tricks, moves and styles at Surface Motion Skate. For an A to Z directory of longboarding terms, head over to Silverfish Longboarding.com.
Know the components of longboard skateboards and the importance of eachHardwood longboards have a deck, longboard trucks, bearings and soft longboard wheels. Most any longboard manufacturer offers literally thousands of options for combining those components to create the ideal longboard for each individual rider. Although most people purchase their longboards from one of the many longboard manufacturers, others opt to make their own.
Roarockit School in Toronto.
Brief yourself on the past, present and future of longboardsIt's important to understand how longboards have evolved over the years, the whats and whys of today's immense popularity and where those in the know think the sport is headed.
- Because of the inherent dangers associated with longboarding, it's important to avoid the questionable quality and durability of cheap longboards.
- The longboarding community at large enjoys a culture and language all its own. Doing some research so you can "walk the walk" and "talk the talk" will go a long way toward understanding and connecting with longboard enthusiasts.