Trap shooting equipment—guns, machines and clay targets—are used in trap shooting. Trap shooting is one of a group of three competitive shooting sports in which shooters use shotguns to shoot at clay targets, sometimes called clay pigeons. The three types of competitive shooting sports include trap shooting, skeet shooting and sporting clays.
In all of these sports, trap shooting machines launch a clay pigeon into the air at the shooter’s command. Then the shooter takes a shot at the target from a specified distance. The more targets the shooter hits, the higher their score.
Clay target shooting sports are growing in popularity, mainly due to the fact that people of all ages, incomes and abilities can compete. Versions of the sport are now events at the Olympic Games, increasing their popularity even more. If you are planning to open a target range or a retail store to sell trap shooting equipment, you will need to offer high-performance guns and trap shooting machines.
You will need to:
- Stock a variety of trap shooting equipment to appeal to all skill and experience levels
- Be prepared to offer instruction on the latest equipment and technology
- Match shooters with trap shooting guns that fit their competition level and body types
Offer a good selection of trap shooting equipment, especially guns, for your customersThere is no designated type of gun to use in trap shooting, so some shooters modify guns for trap shooting. Others use guns made just for trap shooting (usually a 12-gauge, single barrel shotgun). The types of guns your customers decide to use will be dependant on their personal skill levels and how much challenge your customers want.
Choose trap shooting machines that fits your clients' needsThere are various trap shooting machines. Some have more trap shooting capacity while others are different in the way they release targets. Ascertain which type is the best for your business, or stock several kinds to offer your customers.
Provide a variety of other trap shooting equipmentShooters will also be looking for high-quality and interesting trap shooting patches, vests, bags, clay targets and blinders. Be sure to offer a selection that will appeal to them.
- A shooter's first responsibility is firearm safety. If your customers do not have any training with firearms and how to use them safely, offer classes in the basics of using trap shooting equipment or refer them to a responsible instructor or training center. Providing classes yourself will build a personal relationship with potential customers and help relay information on the sport of trapshooting.
- Cultivate relationships with the local competitive shooting community. Consider sponsoring a shooting tournament in your neighborhood. The connections you make will be important to growing your business in the long term.