When out-of-town projects mean you'll face long stretches away from home, even the spiffiest hotel room can become boring, costly and a drain on your productivity.
If you dread lackluster hotel rooms and crave a few creature comforts, there are lodging alternatives out there that will:
- Save you money over standard day rates
- Offer studio apartment-or-larger lodging options with homey features
- Give you and others in your company flexibility to come and go as needed.
Define your needs. Staying a few weeks; months?The extended stay concept makes sense if you want added features in a studio or suite setting and you can sign on for a minimum one-week stay. For longer stays (a month or more) or an open-ended lease, fully-furnished corporate housing is the way to go.
Budget chains are widely available.There are new players and venerable oldies in the budget extended stay arena. Features and geographic locations vary.
Is luxury a top priority? There's no shortage of options.If you want a suite outfitted with a pillow-top bed, fireplace or whirlpool bath, you'll find that and more at several upscale extended stay chains.
For longer-term stays, look into corporate housing.When ongoing projects keep you away for weeks, opt for fully furnished apartments with plenty of amenities in residential neighborhoods.
Let others help you sort out the details.These exceptional sources survey, report on, evaluate and connect properties and customers.
- Watch for ongoing reflagging and renaming of extended stay chains. Several hotel groups are spinning off that product or acquiring smaller regional groups to add to their mix.
- As a bonus, you might earn frequent guest points for your extended stay. Make sure you get credit if there's a program tie-in.
- Some corporate housing services offer pre-arrival grocery shopping.
- Housekeeping services can vary. Some include it in the price (though usually not daily); some offer it at an extra cost.
- Long-term corporate housing can include access to fitness centers, business office facilities or conference rooms.
- Need a rental car during your extended stay? Some car rental companies offer discounted extended lease agreements that allow you and your colleagues to drive the vehicle.