A U.S. passport is a travel document that is recognized around the world. It's absolutely necessary for employers with employees who travel internationally because it verifies your name and nationality when you travel to and from foreign countries. The U.S. Department of State is the only government agency with the authority to issue passports, so there is a layer of bureaucracy to get through when going through the application process.
Every employee must have a valid passport in case they need to travel on short notice. Passports are required whenever you’re traveling by air outside of the country. Whereas you used to be able to travel by car between the U.S. and Canada without a passport, that is changing. Regulations at the Canadian border are becoming more stringent and you will soon need your passport to get through.
When applying for a passport:
1. Ensure that a passport is processed in time by knowing when to apply through the mail and when to do it in person.
2. Consider the travel date well in advance of filing a passport application.
3. Encourage each employee to renew their passport before the current one expires for a much simpler process.
Apply for a passport in personEmployees who have never requested a passport for business travel must go in person to a passport services facility. There are more than 9,000 such locations in the U.S. Make sure they have two pictures, a valid form of photo identification like a driver's license and proof that they're a U.S. citizen. Passport facilities include post offices, public libraries and federal, state or probate courts.
U.S. Department of State website. The United States Postal Service (USPS) will also take a passport photo for an additional fee.
Save time by handling passport renewal by mail or onlineEmployees can renew their passports via the mail if they have their current passport to turn in, it isn't damaged, it's newer than 15 years old, they were older than 16 when they got it and they have the same name that's on the passport or legal proof that their name changed. If they don't meet all these requirements, they must go in person to a passport renewal.
Passport Application Wizard when you're renewing at the U.S. Department of State website. You can also find information on the renewal process, along with the criteria, at American Passport Express. It's a recognized, non-government U.S. passport agency. Renew your passport online at 123Passport.com if you are needing a quick turnaround.
Obtain a passport with plenty of time to spareEmployers must realize that it can take up to four weeks to get a passport from the time the application is filed, as long as it's a routine passport application. Pay an additional fee for the expedited service option, which processes requests in three weeks instead of four.
- When applying for a passport, follow the directions carefully so you don't slow down the process. Sign and date an application for a U.S. passport. Attach to it your most recent passport, two identical passport photos and a check for $75, made payable to the U.S. Department of State. Mail it in a padded envelope.
- Business people living in New York State should apply for an enhanced driver's license for easy travel to Canada and back. If you have one,you won't need a passport.