A good percentage of the world’s freight is moved using train freight cars, and under the right circumstances, moving freight by rail can be highly economical and more energy efficient than transporting it by road. Transport by train using a freight container is most economical when bulk loads are hauled over long distances.
If there is a disadvantage to freight train shipping, it is the lack of flexibility in scheduling and the lack of options for last-minute delivery. Train transport schedules are established well in advance, requiring careful planning if you’re going to maximize the benefits of moving your freight by rail. Train transport consultants can be helpful here.
And there’s another element to consider — the freight container. There are many different types available, and how and what you select can impact your overall train transport costs.
To maximize the benefits of freight train shipping, you’ll want to:
1. Know what’s required if you’re going to utilize freight train cars.
2. Look into working with a train transport consultant.
3. Evaluate freight container options.
4. Consider using intermodal shipping to maximize train transport costs and efficiencies.
5. Get competitive rail freight shipping bids online.
Work with a rail freight consultant to control train transport costsKnowing which freight train goes where and when, and whether it offers the best option for your container freight, can be a daunting task. This is when hiring a freight consultant or shipping logistics specialist to evaluate your options to transport by train can pay dividends.
ROC Transport brokers can assist with all your rail freight transportation needs. YRC Logistics works with clients to improve national train transport and international freight train shipping logistics. Alliance Shippers. offers a single-source one-team approach to shipping by various methods including freight train shipping.
Evaluate freight shipping optionsMost shipping containers used in the movement of rail freight conform to International Standards Organization (ISO) measurements. There are a variety of freight shipping container options, depending on the product you are shipping (fragile, oversized, hazardous, perishable, etc.) and several sources for containers. Some over-the-road (truck) containers can also be used for train transport. This intermodal option generally offers more flexibility than freight train shipping alone.
Check out Alliance Shippers, Consolidated Rail Corporation, Triple Crown Services, J & A Freight Systems, Atlantic Northeast Transport, United Freight Company, Metro Express and Exel Transportation Services for freight train service and intermodal shipping.
Use the Internet for train transport bidsThe shipping industry is very competitive and train transport is no exception. The Internet is loaded with sites that encourage you to submit the details of your rail freight load for an instant quote.
Get a quick response on train transport costs at Freightcenter.com, United Freight Company, the Import/Export Wizard, ShippingQuotes.org and uShip,
For passenger transport, consider business train travelTrain transport can also be beneficial for business travel. Business train travel can be especially convenient if your business is located in the northeast U.S., the Chicago area or the West Coast.
Amtrak provides a number of popular business train travel options, including a high-speed train that runs from Boston to Washington, DC, and commuter trains in California (Caltrain) and Maryland (MARC). For state-by-state train travel links, visit the American Public Transportation Association.
- Used frequently in transport by train, double-stack containers (containers stacked one atop the other and carried on a train flatbed) account for nearly 70 percent of U.S. intermodal shipments.
- A double-stack freight shipping container offers the added benefit of greater cargo security by cradling the lower containers during train transport so their doors cannot be opened.
- Intermodal containers can be carried by train, truck, container ship or airplane, thus extending the benefits of train transport.
- The computerization of freight train schedules has increased the use of train transport for large-load long distance hauling.
- Through their volume relationships with multiple freight shipping companies, brokers can help save as much as 30 to 40 percent in overall shipping costs.