The travel industry is an exciting industry to get into, and travel agent training can help you make the most of your career. Many travel agents will tell you that this is a fast-paced career and they frequently need to refer to the things taught in their travel agent education.
Becoming a travel agent through a travel agent education and training program is an excellent career choice. As a travel agent, you have the option of working with a travel agency, or running your own travel business from home. Of course, there is the added bonus of qualifying for special travel discounts once you have received professional travel agent training.
If you want to enter the travel industry, you should know:
- The travel industry is a highly competitive field. New agents would do well to work directly with an established travel agency.
- Specialized travel agent training programs can help you succeed in niche markets.
- You must carry errors and omissions liability insurance coverage in case of accidents.
Take courses with travel agent online schoolsMany schools offer travel agent courses online to help you to prepare for a career as a travel agent. Whether you're looking for a full certification program or individual classes to fill in the gaps, you can find travel agent training online to suit your specific needs.
Canyon College offers travel agent training programs in two different modules. Penn Foster Career School is another one of the travel agent online schools.
Boost your credibility with certification as a travel agentProfessional certification can boost your reputation among your customers. There are many types of certification that you can receive, depending on your interests
The Travel Institute offers several certification programs. The Certified Travel Associate (CTA) program can help you close more sales. The Certified Travel Counselor (CTC) program can help you identify new markets. The Certified Travel Industry Executive (CTIE) program is for business-to-business travel professionals to help identify new marketing opportunities. Any of these will greatly increase your travel agent education.
Get the upper hand with a travel specialtyMany travel agents find that having a specialty helps then to gain more customers. For example, some agents enjoy working with families while others enjoy planning honeymoons. Specialized travel agent training can help you succeed.
Cruise Lines International Association offers travel agent training programs pertaining to cruises as well as membership in their professional organization. TravelCampus offers travel agent online training courses in a variety of niches.
- Be prepared to handle many customer issues. When people use a travel agent, they expect every aspect of their trip to go smoothly. If something goes wrong, you will hear about it.
- Many community colleges also offer travel agent education and training courses.
- Repeat customers are the key to a successful travel business. Offering special rewards to your customers will make them more likely to use your services in the future.
- Take business management and advertising courses if you plan to start your own business. Many travel agent training programs offer some training in these areas, but you would do well to learn as much as you can.