Login to Business.com

Social Login
Login with Your Account
Forgot Password?
New to Business.com? Join for Free

Join Business.com

Sign Up with Your Social Account
Create an Account
Sign In

Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use, Community Guidelines, and Privacy Policy.

As a travel writer and YouTuber, do I need a CPA or attorney?

I mainly make YouTube videos about travel and living in an RV. I have specific questions about what I can legally use as tax deductions and the complex issue of personal versus business when I travel to make videos.

My question is, do I go to a CPA or an attorney for that advice?

It seems like a CPA would be the better choice, assuming those questions can be answered by every CPA? Or am I exaggerating their complexity?

Answer This Question
Expert Answers
Sort by Date Sort by Votes

Hi - I recommend you find an experienced tax accountant. CPA's are great but not required. Skip the lawyer for tax Q's unless you need to set up an LLC, S Corp or such, but acctant may do that also or you do yourself. Another combination is an experienced bookkeeper on a monthly basis, and a tax accountant apptmt before federal and state qtrly estimated taxes are due. If co. is not making a profit, no est'd taxes are due. But, if you are making a profit, need to pay. And, you need to know. Money in the ckbk doesn't always mean profit.

Have a separate ckg acct for the business. Keep clean records. When you spend money related to the business - it counts as business. Don't pay any bills unless you have a receipt.

Are you sure you want to report this content?


Reset Your Password

Enter your email address and we'll send you an email with a link to reset your password.