Has anybody done a Joomla host migration and could provide advice?
I volunteer for a non-profit. While I've done this sort of thing before, I am not familiar with Joomla nor the site implementation :-( If you want to take a look, the site is: bullsbaynaturefestival.org/
For your type of site, the single easiest way is to create a new Joomla site on the new host (same version number as existing site). Create an Akeeba backup on original site, restore Akeeba backup to new site (https://www.akeebabackup.com).
Note: not affiliated with Akeeba in any way, just the easiest way to do it if you are not super technical. If technical, do a db dump of existing site, copy files to new site, update new configuration.php with any new host/directory changes, restore you database to new host :-)
I second Robert's suggestion but would add one cautionary note. Check with your hosting company as hosting companies have different implementations of MySQL databases, access rights, etc.
Most hosting companies provide migration service either for free or very little cost (typically around €30). Even if your new host company charges you, it is well worth paying as you will save an awful lot of time fixing things & fire fighting, etc. not to mention saving your sanity!
Best of luck
It's pretty easy, especially if you have CPanel or similar:
1. Go to PHPMyAdmin and Export a copy of the Joomla Database
2. Go to your File Manager and make a ZIP folder of your entire root directory (usually /public_html/)
3. Download both of these to your computer
4. Go into your new server/host environment
5. Open MySql Databases and create a New Database and new Database User, then grant all permissions to this new DB to the new DB user
6. Open the File Manager, and upload your zip file with the site folders.
7. Extract the files in the zip file so all files are now in the root directory of the new server.
8. (This is the only sometimes tricky step) - you need to update the configuration.php file to the new DB, DB user, and DB user password as created in step 5. Sometimes you also will need to change the server name depending on the host.
I've followed this on several Joomla migrations. Simple and smooth. https://docs.joomla.org/Copying_a_Joomla_website
Do you want to migrate your Joomla website to a new host?
If yes, them which hosting have you purchase or have access to on which you want to move your website bullsbaynaturefestival.org.
I can help you in that. We are a web design and development company and we do design and develop and ofcourse help hosting websites (Joomla, Wordpress, Drupal and custom PHP websites).
You may get in touch with me to provide further details on this platform or you can email me directly with detail on my email amit.duggal2006[at]gmail.com Or contact[at]softlabsolution.com