How do I create a website (for free) that showcases music?
I want to help out my cousin who is a singer and musician create a website that has samples of her work. I know that WordPress doesn't allow for video or audio uploads. Do you have any suggestions on what would be a good way to create it for her? Thanks!
If you are having troubles in launching wordpress.org then you can go for Wix.com or Weebly since you just need for samples of your cousin's work.
I still think if you can put some money in wordpress.org remember it's not wordpress.com, then you can make any kind of video library based website. its a matter adding free of cost available plugins.
You just need to buy a WordPress hosting plan from https://www.siteground.com/index.htm?afcode=43294d0a0cee8e6eb3db6bfe0b6b4b26 or bluehost.com. Once you register then the technical staff of these hosting website will help you to install WordPress.
There are a lot of plugins some examples are given below
Also take a look at www.soundcloud.com it might be a way to go.
Free online games happy wheels
Wix.com makes it easy for musicians to sign up and add their music to their site. It's also a good idea to have a mailing list to grow listener base over time, Wix has that option as well. Check out my music marketing blog for tips on getting your music out: Music Marketing Strategies
have you heard of BandVista? It's a perfect web builder for musicians. It's free and super easy to handle, plus it allows audio and video uploads. Here's some info on it, just in case
Website Builders for Musicians
Hope it helps!
This is an old question but I feel like I should add a great resource to the list. A lot of artists are using Reverb Nation and I highly recommend giving it a shot even if you have already set up a website. Tons of venues and promoters have accounts allowing artists to book shows directly, set up tours and have a calendar of events. There are tons of tools; build an electronic press kit, check local artist ranking, set up a bio, post pictures or videos, you can showcase and even sell your music from your artist page. Its free but has some premium features that you can purchase if you so desire.
Hope that helps!
Your easiest option: Go with a service like www.wix.com, weebly.com, or something like that (I like Wix). It's easy to direct your page to your own domain name too.
After you get a site on one of those, just join up www.soundcloud.com or another music service that allows playlists to be embeded (I think reverbnation does it as well).
Then build your playlists in soundcloud, and drop the embed HTML into an HTML widget on your Wix page and you'll be good to go once you hit *publish*.
Hi, you have several options but I have listed a few for you to look at and review. Some are free others not, the free sites can have limitations. Anyhow see what you think, Cheers Richard studio2u
"Continuous Player" (Wordpress Theme) - http://alohathemes.com/shop/music-themes-themes/continuous-player/
* Lets you play music on the left, but still are able to navigate to pages on the right hand pane.
* Note sure if you after such a large 'playing' sound presence, but will let you choose what you're after.
* Was different to quite a lot of other templates in the way it works
* Though the template is not actually "Response" to mobile browser, it still worked well on my iPhone.
* Seems to at least have taken into consideration the template working well with music websites like soundcloud etc, as most of these multimedia template tent for focus on video and images.
* It is a very specific styled theme, so not too sure how easily it is to morph it into something that looks totallyh different from the original functionality - Obviously can change images, pictures, and backgrounds etc, but am just talking about the way it works with that left and right hand content areas.
"Surplus" (Wordpress Theme) - http://winithemes.com/templates/wordpress/surplus-1751
*Here's what someone else has done with this theme: http://www.whereghostssleep.com - I notice they've got a video and also a SoundCloud widget. Not sure if they've used the template as-is, or if they've hacked it to get it the way they want, but nevertheless, it's an example.
* This theme is responsive (ie to mobile screens) - Try dragging your browser window really narrow (try it on both the Demo link and the WhereGhostsSleep link above) - Or try going to those sites on you mobile.
"Scrollider" (wordpress theme) - http://www.woothemes.com/products/scrollider/
* I've used template from this company before (woo themes) and they have quite comprehensive templates compared to *some* others.
* Again, this template is responsive (drag browser window really narrow and watch it change to accommodate screen real estate as you drag it)
* Looks like a template that is fairly customisably modular which often makes it easier have things the way you want it to be (within the overall design limitations of course)
* Can handle much more content than you're initially wanting, but obviously can be cut down to only show a small amount of content too.
* It would be worth you looking around all the other themes on this website ie on http://www.woothemes.com
This WooThemes site also had the "Simplicity" template (http://www.woothemes.com/products/simplicity/, demo: http://demo.woothemes.com/?name=simplicity) that http://lifechangingevents.net.au site that I worked on is done in. Though it is not actually responsive to mobile browse, it is a nice clean theme.
"Immmersion" (wordpress theme)
Demo: http://demo.graphpaperpr ess.com/immersion/
* This is the one your liked from the first email
* Is responsive as you drag the window narrower
* Doesn't look like the home page layout is very customisable
* It could be the simple-but-effective one?
* It would be worth you looking around all the other themes on this website ie on http://graphpaperpress.com
"http://www.devinwhetstone.com" (that website Beck was mentioning on the phone that time. It's not wordpress, it looks like straight HTML)
* Nice interface for video
* Not responsive to mobile browser screens
* Pleasing to the eye
"Soundcheck" (wordpress theme) - http://press75.com/view/soundcheck/
* Tailored to sound/music, not sure if it's what you're really after, but thought I'd throw it in.
* Can upload your own mp3's for it custom player. - The downside is that, you probably really just want to use Soundcloud etc, and may not want to use the built in playing components.
* Not responsive
* Is a bit of a different one to a lot of the others.
"Music Pro" (wordpress theme) - http://themeforest.net/item/music-pro-music-oriented-wordpress-theme/1582368?ref=lvraa
* One of the better 'customised for sound/music' themes.
"EPROM" (wordpress theme) - http://themeforest.net/item/eprom-wordpress-music-theme/3737930?ref=lvraa
* Another good music oriented theme
* Seems like quite a comprehensive theme.
"Streamline" (wordpress theme) - http://my.studiopress.com/themes/streamline/
* A more business style oriented theme
The last three came from this music oriented list which is worth checking out: http://www.tripwiremagazine.com/2013/01/wordpress-music-theme.html
Another site with good set of re-usable theme templates are:
http://www.elegantthemes.com - eg the Fusion theme, or others, on this page: http://www.elegantthemes.com/gallery/
Here are some other websites that i googled, relating to sound and video production:
They're not necessarily good examples, though....
http://www.louderthanwords.com.au - seems mainly geared to video though
http://www.katharasstudios.com - An interesting one, in that all the "pages" of the site are swiped in from right to left or similar. Doesn't work 100% well on my iphone, but is pretty decent. Try it. Not wordpress, straight HTML with possible some third party package to do that slider interface.
http://www.stellarstudios.com.au - Basic site that looks like its been there for a while. Not mobile responsive.
http://www.redlinesoundstudios.com.au/studio/default.asp - another basic-ish site.
http://www.brainestorm.com - This does look like a wordpress site. Using what looks likes a slightly modified "TwentyTen" theme, which is one of the free default wordpress themes: http://theme.wordpress.com/themes/twentyten/ DEMO: http://2010dev.wordpress.com
Although I've never used this site i know others who have and like the options available- http://bandzoogle.com/
They offer free and reasonably paid options for bands.
Just as the pictures are often very useful to show something together, sequentially or in some kind of order, as we can do in WordPress but with videos. Thanks to a plugin we can add a video gallery in the sidebar, or even add it to a page or post via a shortcode. It's Youtube Channel Gallery. This plugin is great and free. We just have to get it, install it and activate it as all WordPress plugins. To personalize going to Appearance / Widgets. Drag it to the area you want and can start configuring. In the next image, we dragged the sidebar. You can check my web site pisodoce in the right sidebar I used Youtube Channel Gallery.
Juan Luis Ortega H.
Designer with a major in Visual Communication
Bachelor of Design & Advertising
Web Design / E-learning / Multimedia / Print / Advertising Photography