Although both Android and iOS are based on Linux, they are different operating systems. You have to develop 2 applications even if the front end and functionality is the same, the Operating Systems means you have to develop them differently.
Any project for mobile app does have some common components but not as much as you think! We tend to do the following:
1. Requirements Capture - Define and document functional requirements of the client (iOS and Android will be the same)
2. Design Capture - Define User Interface and desired interactions and map out process (iOS and Android have some common elements but not 100%)
3. Coding - This is where you really diverge
4. Testing - You are testing the functionality against part 1 but you have to run tests for each operating system
5. Submission - You have to submit your App to App Store and Google Play. Each has different process and costs.
The actual cost of development depends on points 1 and 2 (functional and design specification), which determines the time you need to do steps 3 and 4 (Coding & Testing), so unlike buying a car, or a kilo of meat, it is not easy to give you an approximate price.
In Spain the cost of development is anything from 700€ upwards (per operating system per App) whilst you can do this in India or Asia for about 1/2 the cost but then good luck with documentation and support! Not because they are not capable of it, but the time difference and language barriers can become friction points and add to your ongoing costs and maintenance.
Also do not forget that every time a new version of iOS or Android comes out (currently once a year), you need to review and test your product to make sure it all works OK. You will also want to make enhancements and add new features as the product matures and new operating system versions offer new functionality, so developing an App is not a one-off Cost.
I hope this helps and would be very happy to provide you with specific pricing if you can provide us with your requirements. Please contact us via http://www.cognisant-hosting.com/
There is not much difference in native Android and iOS app development. App development work needs professional and user friendly design, efficient back-end and Adnroid/ iOS coding before being up-loaded to app store. Development cost starts from US$1000.- onwards.
It's a good question. Developing an Android app can cost from $1.000 but there are many factors that affect the cost. For example, the location of the developer, the complexity of the app. The cost completely depends on what are the features and functionalities actually you want.