What do you consider before buying a web project?
Thank you for the great answers to the prior post for Uber project cost.
I'm a web marketing strategist who orders some projects and wishes to ask similar pricing questions. On such projects, I first lay out the detailed specifications, and get 80% accurate. Then, I hire a developer who can add backend enhancements specifications, so we get to 100% MVP (minimum viable product). That is, I send 80% written specifications of the GUI and functional specifications, discuss with developer consultants, and try to determine who is capable of coding and can add the remaining 20%.
On payment, I usually start with paid consultation developer hours. For example, if the total project budget is $30,000 for the mentioned Uber-clone project, I'm willing to spend $7,500 in consultations, just to get at the detailed specifications. So, each consultant contacted may be paid $2,500 to talk, and I would want accurate answers as to why to use a white label, can some existing code be modified, how the developer would enhance the project, etc. I think this is only fair on their time.
With then the 100% detailed specifications, I would put these on a bid or select the company I felt most comfortable during the above consultation stages. And, I would stage the payments so that I would have review payments. Lastly, I would hire a well-paid code checker.
What do you think of this methodology?