How do you choose the right fleet management solution for the automobile industry?
If you plan to implement a fleet management technology in your industry, what are the key factors that will help you to choose the right one?
First off you will need to study your company's needs and requirements because choosing the right solution depends on:
- Size of your fleet
- Type of Fleet (If construction it will include machines, trucks, etc. If car rental then it will contain smaller vehicles, etc.)
- What do you want to track and monitor
- Do you do your own preventative maintenance internally? Or do you outsource it?
- If you have your company garage then the system should either integrate with your maintenance software or would have a maintenance module?
- Do you need to monitor fuel levels in case of theft?
- Location tracking and GEO FENCING needed?
- What type of reports do you or your senior management require? Is it configurable?
- What is the platform it is being built on? ORACLE, others?
- Is it easily configurable?
- Does it include relevant KPIs? If not can you configure what you need?
- Is it tied up to your internal procurement department or stores if any? If it is tied to other departments then you will need to study it further to see if the software can be integrated, has other capabilities or you need a complete solution.
- Do you have an existing GPS system on your vehicles or need to implement the physical hardware? If so then you would look at a full solution that includes software and hardware. Otherwise, you will have to integrate with whatever hardware you have installed.
- Size of your fleet. This matters because there are available online solutions which are usually cheaper options. You are charged per vehicle and also depends on how many users will be on the system.
Above are some of the main factors that I would look at and study before pulling the trigger.
Hope this helps. Feel free to send me any additional questions.