I need to update my website for SEO - what are the top 5 things I should do right now?
There are so many algorithm elements to consider, so I want to know what I can do right now to start boosting my results ASAP? The top 5 would be great of what I should concentrate on now, and then what should I consider after that?
If you really want to spend endless hours to learn it all, do it yourself. If not, go to seocreativity and let them do it.
You are right, there are several areas needed to be taken into consideration, when it comes to boosting your SEO score. Let me take you through the top 5 things that can help you optimize your website and move up in the search results. You should note that all these tips are for on-page SEO:
• By adding canonical tags appropriately, you avoid losses that occur when website goes against Google guidelines. At the same time, all your pages remain live to users.
• If a page is indexing and has good links from other sites but ceases to offer a product/service, it must be 301 redirected to a relevant page to save your search engine benefits.
• Check website pages in Google Webmaster that show ‘Not Found’ status. There could be various reasons like page deleted, renamed or misspelling in link. Monitor your Google Webmaster and redirect the ones that are renamed, and fix the others
• Creating robot.txt file is a handy way to keep pages on the backend only by providing instructions on which pages should be disallowed from being displayed on SERPs.
• HREF lang tag helps businesses that have wider audience belonging to different regions serve local audience better. It adds signal that helps spider find relevant page instantly. This way, you do not need multiple websites to target people from different geographical regions.
These five tips would surely boost your website ranking. For more information on these tips, you can go through this post (http://www.fatbit.com/fab/6-crucial-page-seo-tags-rank-high-google-2015/) that elaborates on each point efficiently. After incorporating all these tips, you can also move your website from http to https, which gives substantial benefits in search ranking. Google has been promoting websites that use https rather than http. However, you need to take cognizance of certain aspects before making this shift. This post (http://www.business2community.com/seo/10-seo-considerations-moving-website-http-https-01368982) provides all the information in that aspect.
Hope my tips help you in getting the desired result. If there is any further query, feel free to ask.
1. Update your website's Title, Meta Description, Content and Heading Tags.
2. Do internal linking of website's pages.
3. Use Alt Tag on images.
4. Checked Canonical Tag & Broken Links.
5. Create your brands page on social sites like Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter & Google+.
HI Tony - I actually recently put together this "Top 11" Things to focus on based on the released Google Guidelines for SEO. This should help you get started (there's also a link to the full 160-page Google document, but I pulled out the most important things for small businesses to know.
That would be good if you share your website link so that you will get better advice on the same. Any how, I would recommend you to do following things on your website:
- Check URL Structure. keep it clean and simple. Avoid using query strings.
- Update your website title, meta description, meta keywords, content including heading tags, sitemap and internal linking of pages.
- Do image optimization
- Create and optimize official social media profiles for your brand, integrate them on your website and update them regularly.
- Check all the redirections, broken links (if any) and canonical tags.
We handle the marketing for a company that puts out an expert webinar series and one of the presenters JUST spoke about this. You can view the presentation here >>> https://youtu.be/eL_8gd-81F4
Hope this helps!
The only real answer is to use a true SEO expert. There are too many variables to consider and they are constantly changing. This is so specialized that Google states that even 19 out of 20 web designers can't even do true, white-hat SEO. They can only do bits and pieces. Hire an expert that will keep your unique situation and goals in mind. One size does not fit all,
Make Sure your page title are correctly opimised for your niche
Make sure you use your keywords in the page titles
Make sure your keywords are in your url's
make sure you use keywords in your anchor text
Make sure your sitemap is up to date
There is loads more....
Keyword research is your top proirity, get this right with local search terms.
1. Keyword research
2. On-page SEO - title, decription and alt tags
3. Check Page Authority and Domain Authority
4. Check Trust Flow and Citation Flow
5. Find top 3 websites for your search term, check their backlinks and copy them