First, I'd start off with the basics; Google Apps (which is essentially Gmail for businesses) and Google Drive for collaborating.
And then some sort of file sharing network like Dropbox or iDriveSync. We use it to share all of our website ranking reports with one another.
A virtual PBX system will also reduce some costs and headaches. There's a run down of most of the business apps we use right here: http://cwhighlights.com/small-business-study-7-tech-tools-all-businesses-should-use/#axzz2Sd2IyJCX
Totally biased of course but my app http://inform.ly tells me my important stats in a few seconds (I launched it yesterday).
Other than that. Xero, Evernote, Gmail, Google Drive, MailChimp, Skype.
This is one of Politepix's apps, but I figured it was worth mentioning because I developed it in order to streamline my own life as someone who works with startups and on a startup. AllHours is an iPhone app for finding a call time or meeting time in the future that works for everyone in a team that is dispersed across multiple timezones, and then lets you email out the meeting time or add it to Apple Calendar or Google Calendar: http://www.politepix.com/allhours
Great topic. Streamlining apps and software is one of the best collective tools that treps have.
1. Google apps for business - mail, calendar, docs
2. Dropbox - for file sharing
3. Boomerang for Gmail - message scheduling, reminders, etc.
4. Insightly - for project management and CRM
5. Freshbooks - for accounting
6. AWeber - for email marketing
7. Wordpress - for websites
8. Hootsuite - social media management
10. Evernote -keeping track of your notes, ideas, articles.
I can't live without the following:
1) Quickbooks online for all my financial reports and accounting (online is the way to go!)
2) Gmail, Google Calendar, & Iphone Calendar (all synced) for managing myschedule and seeing my teams schedule both online and on my phone
3) MSOffice Suite - Word, Excel, Powerpoint. My whole business is on those applications.
4) Skype - I do most of my phone calls and meetings this way
5) Googledocs - awesome for sharing files multiple people are adding to
6) Flighttracker - has all my flight info (I travel a lot) I love having all my flight details on my iphone and knowing if my flights are ontime or delayed, what gates they are at, which baggage claim to get my bags, etc.
7) Note2Self - to record conversations we are having during our meetings to capture the details and flow of ideas.
8) Wordpress - All our websites lie ontop of wordpress. Don't know how we'd keep all our content fresh and updated without it.
9) Officeautopilot - This application handles our mass mailings, shopping carts, membership websites, affiliates, and acts as a CRM.
10) Vimeo and Youtube - These store all our videos for uploading to our social media and various websites.
11) Aweber - For sending all our emails to various segments on our list. Great deliverability. Really easy to use. Creates simple webforms for opt-ins.
12) Kayak - For checking inexpensive airfare on multiple airlines at once.
13) Camtasia - For creating video from my laptop screen and providing some easy to use editing tools to zoom in or out, cutting, fading, etc.
14) Final Cut Pro - For doing all our more complex video editing to make our videos looks professional.
All good answers below. One app I use a lot is a simple time tracker, Timesheet. It allows me to quickly start the clock on consulting projects and provides export to Excel for billing.
SignNow - this is a great app! Sign and email documents without printing and scanning. Its FREE
Other than those already mentioned, here are ones I routinely use:
1. Expensify - for expense tracking and reporting.
2. SpringPad - similar to Evernote for capturing all sorts of info.
3. Astrid - very simple but effective to-do list.
4. Pocket - a webpage capture tool, handy for keeping websites to read for later.
5. Tango - video conferencing.
6. Zoho - not really a standalone app, but a suite of tools similar to Google Apps.
If you travel alot tripit is awesome. Down load it on your mobile and everything that is booked for travel goes to your trip it on your phone. All flight, hotels , cars etc. Flight are monitored.