What are 5 adjectives you use to describe your business?
I want to create a stronger brand identity this year. I like the simplicity of picking 5 words that best describe my business and crafting a story around those 5 words. I'm just starting to brainstorm on this. If you could describe your business in 5 words, what would they be and how did you choose them?
I would recommend that you take a few steps back... To adequately address this question I recommend that you consider 3 important inputs.
1) What is your vision for your business - What does success look like. Define this in your terms and in terms of the wants, needs and demands of your stakeholders, partners, community, values, products, brand, values, etc.
2) What is you unique value proposition as defined by your customers.
3) If there are gaps - consider where you would like to be, and\or where you are going and how you will get there.
Now, use this information as the starting point for some reflection - Now you are ready to craft your story around 5 key words.
I would take it a step further. When choosing your 5 words to describe your business I would also think of the words in the context of how they impact your customers. Brands can be more than just telling your story, its also an opportunity to engage, build relationships and define/communicate your purpose. Choose wisely and you will be able to start conversations outside your company that will have significant impact for you.
If okay, I'll list our core values:
* Philanthropy Phirst
* Attitude of Gratitude
* We Work Hard Not Long
* Continuous Education
* Have Fun
* Don't Be a Jerk
Strategic, creative, elevating, brand development
Those are the words that describe our company.
List as many description words as you can and the sort them in A list and B list words. Remove all ambiguous words from your A list and then begin the shortlisting from there.
Good question. I would describe my company as dynamic, ever-changing, fun, customer focused, driven.
I love it Danielle! Here are mine :)
I've referenced this topic tangentially in several episodes of my show, so I thought I could link to something, but all I found was a blog article.
I guess I know what I'm doing this week :)
Thats a great question. I take it you're referring to identifying your brand "values".
I will define my business as
1. Professional - i'd like to think my business offers a valuable service based on over twenty years of professional experience and expertise.
2. Trustworthy - Trust is key in establishing relationships for followthroughs including brand ambassadors, investment and customer aquisition.
3. Friendly - because we are. Business is about people and people will only work with you if you show that you really care about their problems and they can trust you.
4. Efficient - by underpromising and over delivering, we are able to show that we go the extra mile to make sure we deliver on time and to brief.
5. Valuable Partner - The Value Add - this is the key ingredient to keeping our customers happy. By going the extra mile to show that we care, customers are able to identify the value add and can compare it with the competition to help them make spending choices.
In other words, vusualise your business as a breathable living thing (which it is), give it an identity (personalise it), list the various attributes of the business including processes, value proposition, stakeholders (including management, staff and customers) and then draw down on the varoius characteristics of each attribute and how that fits in with your business (brand identity) "VISION" and work your way from there.
Remember - your brand is not just about the tag line but more about delivering on that slogan - everytime...!
The staff and key stakeholders are also part of the brand and it is important to make sure that everyone shares those brand values.
More importantly - what does your brand say about you? - I will share a resource on this subject soon.
Hope this helps and feel free to connect if I can be of further help.
Best of luck...