What are the major on-page SEO checks that should be made on a periodic basis?
I would like to know the most important and frequent checks that should be performed in SEO on-page.
Having a solid on-page SEO plan in place is one of the simpler things a marketer/webmaster can do to ensure they are optimizing the reach of their content and site.
Before you worry about maintenance I would make sure that you’re considering the following on-page elements for the URLs on your domain:
- The subject of the page is part of the title tag
- The subject of the page is in the URL
- From a thematic perspective you have diversity in the terms used covering the subject.
- There is a strategy behind the internal linking structure for any given URL
- Appropriate structure of header tags
A lot of these on-page best practices aren’t things you’ll need to regularly update (depending on the goals of your site.) – so they’ll only need to “checked” on or changed if the subject of the content is updated or changed.
An opportunity many sites have as they grow is improving their internal linking structure. As your site grows in size you’ll begin to notice which pages are driving organic traffic etc. – there is an opportunity here to add in links to newer pieces or sections of the site and reap a traffic benefit to the newer content. Of course – you’ll want to be smart about what you link to and how you go about.
Here are a few more in-depth resources covering on-page SEO:
Hope this helps,
In general you don't need to perform on-page SEO periodically. But you should be keep track of the latest changes to the search algorithms so you can react quickly if something important comes up. Below are the things I would check periodically.
- Broken links. These are bad for user experience and for crawlers. I use a paid tool called SEOProfiler which automatically checks for these things. If you're using a CMS like WordPress there are plugins and add-ons that does this for you.
- New keyword opportunities. Sometimes you might be ranking for a certain related keyword that is not in your content, but you're in the fourth place in search results. Adding that keyword to the actual page might give you a boost in rankings.
Although not exactly on page, another thing that you need to do is monitor your rankings. If you suddenly lost your rankings to another site you can compare their on page factors with yours and make adjustments if necessary.
Hope this helps,
Today, you need to think about the right SEO tactics that will help in the growth of your company.
Some major points to consider for on-page SEO:
1. Create a Responsive Site.
2. Check For Broken Links.
3. Place Your Site’s Content Above The Fold.
4. Use H - Tags, Alt - Tags To Get More Traffic.
5. Write Meta Title and Descriptions for Better SEO.
6. Internal Contextual Linking On Long Tail Keywords.
For more detailed on-page SEO checklist, check out the reference link:
The comments here are sufficient. To make it even more simple. Download Yoast SEO plugin and it will cover those bases at the moment you are optimizing a website. In addition, if you have a link to a high PR page, a video, a link to your home page, and your keyword sprinkled 3 times with one of them H1 tagged. Remember to think about relevancy and don't get too stuck in "on page" optimization.
Some Major OnPage SEO Factors Are:
1. Domain 301 Redirection
3. Check and Improve W3C Validator
4. Broken Links
5. Site Should be Responsive
6. Meta Tags, Heading Tags, Alt Tags, URL Optimization (Keywords should be place in all tags)
5. Internal Linking
6. Content Optimization
Dylan has given excellent suggestions that should form the core of your on-page SEO.
In addition, you should also pay attention to indexing of your site:
- Create a sitemap and submit to both Google and Bing
- Have the correct Index, Follow and Canonical tags on each page
- Check your Robots.txt file to make sure search bots can access pages you want indexed. Block access to pages that should not be included in Google searches like Cart or Order page
- Verify indexing using site: search
- Check Google crawl status and messages in Webmaster tools once a week
This should keep your SEO in good shape.
* Meta data for old and new posts/pages
* Site Speed