What do I need to know about creating an app for my transportation company?
I want to start my own transportation company but I don't know how to create an app or how to integrate it with my website.
We have been designing websites since 2006 and writing Apps since 2011.
You need to first find out what you need an App to do and why you think you need it! It is a trendy/fashinable thing for people to do (and we are happy to take people's money) but the first question we always ask clients is:
“What can you do on your App that you cannot do on your website?”
There may be many things but the question is whether it is of value to clients or not. If your website is designed for Desktops as well as mobile devices (Tablet and Mobile), then you need to ask why can't people still use it. Just having a Responsive website is not enough as you need to also consider ease of use, ease of navigation, access, etc. on smaller screens. Just morphing the pages to fit device screen is not really good enough.
Here is an article on this subject which I hope will help http://www.cognisant-hosting.com/mobile-apps-vs-responsive-website/
We mention other issues you need to consider as Apps have ongoing costs. Mobile operating systems evolve and change (currently at least 1 version per 12 months), so you have to keep your application updated so that it can continue to work on new OS. Both Google and Apple will not keep you on their store if you fall too far behind on their OS, as many of the upgrades are security related as well as functionality related.
Just like your website, it is no good just telling developers “I need a website!” (although we get plenty of briefs like that!). With Apps you need to specify your functionality, process, options, etc. and most importantly the “What if” scenarios.
You need to tightly define functionality, processes, human interfaces, interconnection, etc. otherwise you will get into continuous loop of “Define, Design, Test; Redefine, Redesign, Retest, and so on and on and on”. The never-ending projects are usually due to poor definition to start with, so you need to invest time and money in this before you embark on development. If you do not, you either end up with a never-ending project, or a compromised product that you/your users will never be happy, or runaway costs (or all of the above).
I hope this helps. We will be delighted to help you achieve your goals, so contact us if you think we can be of help.
There are a lot of things you need to know about creating an app for your transportation company. Here are a couple of things that should be on top of your mind:
1) Technology: There are various technologies you can build your app on. iOS and Android are of course the most popular. Then, there are mobile and hybrid apps as well. This is a question that every developer will ask you. So, it is better to answer it beforehand.
2) Development team: There is no dearth of app developers out there. Most of them claim to be the best but very few are. So, you got to be very careful while hiring a team. If your development team brings analysts that can plan to app experience and functionality, that would be cherry on cake.
3) Budget: There are dedicated app development companies out there and there are freelancers who do a great job. I have worked with both and both charge a different price and bring unique advantages. So, firstly, you got to look into your purse and see how much you can spend. Pro tip: Ask for a quote for the app and features you want; don't initially tell how much you want to spend.
4) App goals: Every app achieves some goals and app features are developed around those goals. So, what you need to do is make a list of things you want the app to accomplish. This will help you in coming up with a detailed project brief and help app development company in coming up with the right costing.
5) Support: Hire someone who won't take off once the app is complete. You will need support even after the app is live. Also, you will come up with new features and enhancements over time. So, think that through as well.
There are a lot of things that got to be just perfect if you want the perfect transportation app for your company. I can fix a free chat or call session with my best app developer who would be more than glad to give you a better clarity of your requirements. Drop an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if that sounds good.
Take care and best of luck!
We have some exciting ready-to-start mobile app solutions for Taxi and other Transportation businesses, that can be integrated with your existing website. But I would like to know more about your ideas.
Please give me a message if you are interested.
Floges Software Solutions (P) Ltd.
I'll try to keep this simple. For a transportation company, apart from all the technical requirements like design, platform, budget etc., you should have an elaborate list of features that your app would be providing. We developed a few transportation apps and some of the features include the following:
1. GPS Integration: The app uses the mobile device's GPS services to indicate the location of the transport service in use (package delivery, a ride hailing service etc.). This allows both the users and the admin to keep track of vehicles in real time.
2. Booking service: The app should undoubtedly have a booking feature and make it easier for the user to book their services through the app itself. In the backend, the app automatically cross checks with a schedule table and assigns a vehicle that is available for duty during the selected time period. Bookings can be made for immediately or scheduled for later times.
3. Payment options: The app should have a variety of acceptable payment options that are most used by your target audience. You can even allow users to split the costs and make some payment after the task is done and pay only a part of the fee as an advance.
4. Custom Notifications: Users will not keep the app open 24*7, so it is crucial that you have custom notifications for your app that give the users live updates, inform them about promotional offers, their service status etc.
5. Social Sign Up Option: Sure you can have a custom sign up form also, but if you can get all your required information from their social accounts, then make things easier for them and allow them to sign up for your app and create an account easily using their existing social accounts.
Integrating the whole thing with your website once its complete wouldn't be a difficult task. Our team of AngularJS developers worked on a similar project and if required will be glad to help you out with a more detailed consultation.
First, note down your company challenges and look into other transportation companies who are currently using mobile application for its business, this small exercise will show you what kind of application you really want. Generally, there are 4 factors that any transportation company will want to fix it with a mobile solution.
1. Reduce transportation costs
2. Improve supplier delivery performance
3. Increase shipment and PO visibility
4. Reduce inventory
Some larger companies also use IOT solution for its transportation and logistic management.