What do smart businessmen do during recessions?
There's always a business opportunity in a recession. Money doesn't really disappear. People simply begin to save and/or allocate funds to payoff the debt which created the good economic days before the recession. Understanding this cycle will help you tap in to the minds of consumers and how they think.
They make sure they offer something that is fairly indispensable, that people need and have to spend money on regardless.
And they don’t freak out and start making cost-cutting decisions that are actually harmful, like cutting marketing that has been effective at generating revenue and awareness to save some money.
And those two things can go together. People always try to make it sound like your business has to either be really innovative or it has to solve a unique problem that no one else is solving. Really, you can kind of anticipate that a lot of your competition, if you have competition, will start to freak out and start cutting back on marketing and advertising and other costs. Just figure out what people will keep spending money on because they either really have to or they really want to, and keep making sure they know you offer it while your competition is not as committed to making sure people know they offer that same thing. You should be okay.
If you have a business that is naturally more of a luxury for people and it doesn’t make sense to mix it with something people need, then you have to get creative or start up a bit of a side hustle offering something that people need. In getting creative, you might want to figure out a way to convince people that either they do need your luxury offering or that indulging in that luxury offering will make them feel so good that it’s worth it.
Accounting and Tax Consultant for QuickBooks Hosting and Drake hosted
Smart business people create contingency plans. They build an emergency fund, are more proactive around taxes, have a team of advisors (tax, legal, financial), and keep business and personal finances separate. In addition, they avoid debt that needs to be paid back despite recessions, employ others, work with a business coach, and invest outside of their businesses.
I hope you are doing well. Here are a few supportive answers which might help you.
1) First of all, we need to take care of our employees in these tough situations make them feel that you are with them and with the help of all, we will overcome the recessions.
2) We need to look out for other opportunities in which your team is good at because in recessions we all have to find the main cause which is might affect your business.
3) Always try to put more effort into lowering your overhead expenses in this crunch and tight situations.
There are quite many things or actions any businessman can embark upon during a recession period. Such an interregnum in business activities can be invested into the under-listed actions.
1. You can use a recession period to restructure your business for effective and smooth running. By restructuring, l mean, looking into the functions of your employees and reorganize these functions for proper running.
2. Such a period can also be used to study your business performance activities like your sale, income, clientele, purchases, leads generations, marketing, etc. Because you are currently undergoing a lull in your business, there is ample time to look into these activities with your team members and possibly re-engineer your business processes for greater operations after the recession period.
3. Using this lull period of business to look into your financials and see how it relates to your business plans. Ensuring any divergence between what you are achieving as against your plans reconciled. These are some actions that can be taken at such lull times in business.