What does a social media strategist do?
I'm curious about the job and if I can incorporate any of their techniques to build my own reputation as a creative design illustrator and web designer. What does their department do specifically and how does the position help companies and/or organizations?
They are (or should be)part of the marketing & communications department. They analyse the company's needs and customer base, write a social media plan and if applicable a community management plan (using social media does not naturally imply you are building a community, which can in turn actually depend on the chosen strategy) and form launch plans for new products or services the company wants to set on the market.
Depending on the company and department they sometimes also track their own performance and report that to upper management to show what value they brought over a specific period.
Through the many connections, social media creates, businesses can begin to move from a company-to-buyer marketing model to a peer-to-peer influence model.Social media marketing is one of the tools that help's in the inbound marketing journey
The social media strategist job function is part of the Marketing & Communication department in an organization.
The role would involve:
- Identifying the different social media platform(s) the prospective buyer visits
- Creating strategies to integrate social media into existing marketing and business
- Creating a content calendar for the year to reach the buyer(s), focusing on tone of voice, optimal posting frequency, controls, and metrics for each platform
- To be in sync with best practices reflecting your industry, technology, your competitors wrt social media usage
- identifying the automation tools to help increase the reach and maximize the impact
- Put in place a mechanism to respond to interested buyers who visit the site to engage with them better
- Putting in place a social media policy for employees, partners to maximize the impact
- And last but not the least do necessary course corrections along the journey.
All the best
They should be a true expert in their field. One than can demonstrate exceptional and measurable results for real clients in the market place.
Hi Liz- I create social strategies for my clients and can tell you...it involves long term planning, executing and implementing gameplans (marketing plans) from concept to design to final execution. Far too many strategist's come up with the game plan, and leave the execution to others and that can be a problem if the team doesn't understand the vision and direction of the plan. Creating strategy is akin to a coach drawing up a gameplan before the game starts (before the battle)...how will you reach your goals, how much will it cost, how long will it take to get this done, what are the potential pitfalls, etc...The key to success is knowing your target audience, and helping your client position the brand and message in front of those most apt to have interest. The strategy you create (your roap map so to speak) is the steps you take to get there...hope this helps..best-g
As a social media strategist, you are responsible for
1. Engaging regularly with active and passive members in the Industry. Ensure your online and media presence creates regular buzz in the social media
2. You are required to create a strong content for promoting your strategy. Not only that, you should also have a strategy and approach clear to convert passive community members to be active community members
3. You need to have a better ROI plan and also ways to measure the ROI in short and long term
4. You are required to do regular market research activities to understand the trends in the industry.
Social media strategist basically do the marketing through social media.