What do small businesses expect to achieve from digital marketing agencies?
We are a digital marketing agency from Bangalore - www.kayendigitalmarketing.com. We wish to know what startups and small businesses expect from a digital marketing agency? How much importance do they give to digital marketing, multi-channel branding, and having good consistent digital designs?
From a personal and professional standpoint, I'd say the number one thing expected by SMBs from digital marketing agencies is heightened visibility and engagement through targeting. Typically, when any business gets in contact with a digital marketing agency, it's to increase their reach and drive more sales. For small businesses with tight budgets, it can be harder to locate and engage with your tribe.
As for multi-channel branding and consistency with designs, these are all expected and extremely important assets to any digital marketing campaign, whether it's through an outside agency or within your business itself. However, don't waste resources where they won't be rightfully spent. For instance, if your target audience is between the age of 18-35, spending time and money on Facebook ads may not lead to the highest conversion rates when compared to the likings of Instagram and Twitter, to name a few. Digital marketing agencies can do all of the market research for small businesses, and take the guesswork out of it; providing solid results and a game plan that the small business and its team can easily learn and recreate on their own accord.
Well, I will try to answer this in a short manner.
Start-ups want fast exit and most of them are prepared to pay big money for marketing, any form. If you are enough lucky to get on board with one start-up, it will be much easier in other stages.
Well, for small business is an entirely different story. The small business owner doesn't have time to hear your explanation or even proposals. So if you are pursuing clients, the odds are bigger to land middle size client or startup than small business.
This I tell you from my own experience.
The bottom line is that start-ups are seeking brand exposure mainly and small businesses asking results, closed sales and this is how they evaluate you and work of your agency.
Blazho from Exai.
Myself, Sam Roger, working with Amazing7 Studios, leading website design & development company and digital marketing company in Florida. We deal with all type of businesses either the business is small or the business is large. Basically, it depends on the business model for which type of a business category we are working. Under the small businesses, there might be several categories like the food business, restaurant business and many more. If you are approaching business owner to do business with your company, then firstly analyze the whole website as per the SEO aspects and design aspects. Because both are very important and play a vital role to give the fruitful results. Analyze the competitors, analyze the keywords, target location, USP. After done with all of them, then explain that business all the things and make them clear each and everything.
To be honest, digital marketing is a hard sell. A lot of small businesses, due to pressure or priorities, don't think it is a good idea to spend on digital marketing. And since digital marketing demands time and patience, ROI is also an issue.
If you manage to sell the service, expectations vary based on the nature of the business + the owner/entrepreneur you're dealing with + what you sold them. Here are some common expectations depending on your commitment to the client:
1. RANKINGS - Everyone wants to be on top. Sometimes, it is easier, sometimes it is just impossible. But irrespective of competition and limitations, businesses expect to get on the first page of Google for all the possible keywords.
2. TRAFFIC - A lot of times, traffic does the trick. If you are able to generate quality traffic to the website, businesses will be happy to pay you for your service. But remember the emphasis here is QUALITY TRAFFIC.
3. VIRAL CONTENT - Everyone wants to be in the news. Businesses are no different. They're paying for marketing and getting into the feed of people. So, they expect you to do the kind of content that breaks the internet.
4. FOLLOWERS | LIKES - If you're managing social media pages, businesses expect you to bring followers, likes and consistent engagement to their social media profiles.
5. LEADS - Last but probably the most important thing businesses expect from you is lead generation.