How many people use their smart phone on the toilet?! Plus 29 other stats about social media that may surprise you.
It’s been a week since #SMMW15; enough time to digest the stats and provide a summary of which we thought matters the most. This year, companies were scrambling from session to session to figure out what content people actually want, rising social media trends, and how to pack in 21 different social platforms, listening tools and rise to the top of the trends report.
Not me. I was just there for the important stats that really matter (or just make you smile). So, take a deep breath and a social break to add a little humor (plus some very useful stats) to your Friday.
Related Article: Social Media Marketing World: 8 Key Social Media Trends for 2015
The Star of the Show: Mobile
1. 75% of people use their phone while sitting on the toilet.
2. More people own a mobile phone than a toothbrush (gross!). Tweet this!
3. 20% of adults have used their smart phone during sex.
4. People are more likely to return home for a forgotten smartphone than wallet.
5. 78% of people have logged in to Facebook on their mobile phone in the last month.
6. 73% of Facebook's net ad revenue comes from mobile.
The Reigning Social Media Champion: Facebook
7. The average FB user has the potential to see 1500-15,000 potential stories any single day. - Mari Smith Tweet This!
8. Facebook has 100K algorithm weights. To see the biggest algorithm changes, visit Wallaroo’s Infographic on Facebook Algorithm Changes (who came up with that name?!).
9. On Facebook, 15% of users have more than 500 friends – Mari Smith
10. You will only get a 1-6% organic reach on your posts in Facebook. So heart-wrenching.
11. Native video publishing on Facebook has gone up 360%
Related Article: Don't Be That Guy: Bad Social Media Habits to Break Now
Haters Need to Be Hugged
Jay Baer's (@jaybaer) closing keynote was full of stats that proved that your haters are actually an asset in disguise.
12. Responding to a complaint in social increases advocacy by 20%.
13. 71% of the consumers who complain online do so as the result of failing traditional customer service. Tweet this!
14. By 2020, customer experience will overtake price as the key brand differentiator.
15. 62% of complaints are first made out of public- they turn to social media when frustrated by lack of response.
16. 55% of online complaints are on review sites like Yelp, 21% are on Facebook.
17. Responding to a complaint increases advocacy by 20%, and not responding drops advocacy 43%.
18. 42% of people that complain about your company online expect a response.
19. 40% of complaints are actually addressed.
20. 39% of people expect a response in an hour- the average response time is about 5 hours,
Twitter, Pinterest and Everything Else
21. 7-12% of your followers will see any individual tweet. Tweet this!
22. People are 70% more likely to make a purchase based on a friend’s social media updates. - Mark Schaefer
23. 90% of Fortune 500 companies are not doing FB right. - Mari Smith
24. The human brain processes visuals 60,000 times faster than decoding text. - Pam Moore
25. 98% of pinners have tried something new that they saw on Pinterest. - Peg Fitzpatrick
26. Big media outlets average bounce rate is 80%.
27. 60% of @JoePulizzi’s blog subscribers came from a popup.
28. The average attention of a tweet is one hour. - Ekaterina Walter Tweet this!
29. 57% of marketers using video – Mike Stelzner
30. Only 2% of marketers use SnapChat; 4% using Vine.