Gas air conditioning dates back to the 1930s and 1940s, when most Americans relied on natural gas to cool their homes and businesses. ...
Gas air conditioning dates back to the 1930s and 1940s, when most Americans relied on natural gas to cool their homes and businesses. Although the technology fell out of favor in the 1960s, with the introduction of then more cost and energy efficient electric cooling systems, gas ac is making a comeback in the commercial and residential market sectors.
For contractors and builders, offering gas air conditioner solutions is important today, when so many customers are concerned about energy savings and green living. New gas air conditioners use 30% to 50% less energy than electric air conditioning systems and the average gas air conditioning system lasts 2 to 3 times longer than an electrical unit. Gas AC units require relatively little maintenance and the environmentally friendly ammonia/water absorption process is ideal for areas with strict environmental laws.
Before purchasing a gas air conditioner, consider the following:
1. Analyzing the various kinds of gas AC units available for commercial use.
2. Learning about the benefits of gas air conditioners for residential use.
3. Determine how gas air conditioning can positively affect your bottom line and our environment.
Decide which type of gas air conditioning unit is best for your commercial clientThere are three types of gas air conditioners: absorption, engine-driven and desiccant. Absorption natural gas air conditioners use a cycle of condensation and evaporation of a refrigerant or coolant, much like a vapor compression system, while an engine-driven gas AC works like an electric chiller, using a vapor compression cycle. A desiccant gas powered air conditioner uses two rotating desiccant wheels as part of an evaporative cooling process.
Get cutting edge gas ac units for your residential clientsThe recent increase in demand, by both homeowners and builders, for more energy efficient air conditioning systems has spurred an increase in the production of residential gas ac units. Since green living is a relatively new concept, however, and because high efficiency gas ac is a relatively new technology, there are few companies who manufacture gas powered air conditioners for residential use.
Calculate the benefits of gas AC over electricAlthough high gas air conditioner prices may make it difficult to convince a client, our yourself, that gas air conditioning is the way to go. Gas powered air conditioning, however, is far less expensive to operate and maintain than electric and investors in the technology consistently enjoy a quick return. Gas air conditioning not only reduces your client's long-term energy costs, but can significantly decrease your carbon footprint, as a contractor or builder.
- Some utility companies offer rebates to customers who install gas air conditioners. Since this can make your gas air conditioner purchase less expensive than you imagined, be sure to call your utility company before making a final home cooling system decision.
- Another great benefit of gas air conditioners is they can keep your home or business cool during a blackout. This is great news for those who live in areas with overburdened electric grids.